Crucial Radeon 8500LE 128Mb

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by jonocainuk, Feb 19, 2003.

1. jonocainuk

jonocainuk Guest

Just installed this gfx card in my gf's PC (p3 733mhz fcpga, ibm netvista mobo, 512mb pc133, sb pci128) and it aint really doing as good as the old gf2mx 32mb. its odd how if i cap the fps to 125, it wont go higher than 85 (which is the Hz of my screen) but when I change detailing on q3 to medium from low, the fps goes up to 125 but frequently jitters to below 100.

I've installed the latest catalyst drivers (3.1) from crucial's website... and its the same as with 2.1 (what i got on cd).

any recommendations anyone?

2. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

you have dx9 installed?

the cat 3.1's go with dx9 :)

if you are using dx8-ish use cat 2.5's

many reasons why there may be a cap... post what you did when you installed... what you removed/installed in terms of software... or whatever...

3. jonifen

jonifen pffff...

(gf's comp had my old username autologged in for some reason :huh: )

I uninstalled all nvidia stuff and rebooted. winxp re-installed it with MS drivers, I went to Dev. Mgr and uninstalled the device and turned the PC off.

switched 2mx for radeon 8500le

plugged everythin in and turned on
    installed drivers off cd (instructions said to install the cd, then check for new drivers and install them if there are any newer). so i installed v2.1

loaded q3 (cuz i was itchin to see how much better it ran... i was a bit disallusioned tbh)

found 3.1 on crucial's website so i d/led them. found i had to uninstall the old stuff so i did and rebooted when done.
    pc rebooted and i installed the new drivers and rebooted again

got back to windows and loaded q3 to test (still not really happy... thinking ive done something wrong or perhaps the pc itself is sucky sucky for the gfx card lol)

i dont have dx9 installed, but i'll d/l now and install

edit: omg... dx9 is 31mb??!!

4. Sazar

the dx version should not matter much.. am just saying the new cat's are more dx9 oriented... :)

5. jonifen

jonifen pffff...

right... okidoki... so what bout the installation of drivers? did i do it right? :p

6. Sazar

I woulda removed all drivers... turned off pc and switched cards and then rebooted to let microsoft detect the card...

actually I woulda formatted :)

btw yah... dx9 is quite large...

7. jonifen

jonifen pffff...

ive installed dx9 and im gonna go test now :)

8. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

try turning vsync off...? this will keep the card from sending a single frame out with each refresh of the screen.. instead, it will send the frames out as fast as it can and you will get a more accurate fsp measurement.

but once you're done benchmarking/troubleshooting, turn vsync back on for smoother gameplay.

9. jonifen

jonifen pffff...

that was one of the first things i did (turning vsync off) :)

i changed the lighting from "vertex" to "lightmap" and all of a sudden it runs awesome... really smooth and tends not to drop below 76fps (my preferred fps cap - i took the cap off to test it tho)

first time ive ever seen a gfx card that runs BETTER at higher quality than at lower quality :eek:

10. jonifen

jonifen pffff...

also... thinking on...

would the psu have any effect on fps?

i dont know what psu she has in her comp... i think its a bit of a s**t one... if its not a 300w already, would a 300w psu make an improvement?