creating a scheduled task question

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by IDLE, May 10, 2007.

1. IDLE

IDLE OSNN Senior Addict

i can make the task just fine, but i want to know how to close the application that gets ran to automatically close? the application is Windows Media Player. ive tried modifying the shortcut on the scheduled task, but have come short. any ideas?

2. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

Maybe lame, but could you do a batch file that uses kill.exe to end the program? Have your task finish and then schedule the batch to run right after, killing the process.

3. IDLE

IDLE OSNN Senior Addict

never heard of the kill.exe. i will do some research to setup this scenario. thanks for the response!

4. ABEC [LU]

ABEC [LU] OSNN Junior Addict

On the subject of scheduling... is it possible to run a program (itunes) and start it playing music (from a list) and end it later (i assume with this kill.exe command)?

5. IDLE

IDLE OSNN Senior Addict

looks like this kiil command allows you to just exit a specific application when applying it to a batch file. i dont think you can go that deep with iTunes to tell it to use a playlist and to quit a some particular time.

6. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

Well you would have to kick off iTunes manually, start the playlist manually, and then you could use kill.exe to end the iTunes process.