Create XP BootCD from non-ISO install.

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Maverik, Mar 11, 2002.

1. Maverik

Maverik Guest

Aim:
    Working bootable CD I can use without floppy disk boot to install windows XP Pro

Current Situation:
    Copy of Windows XP install files on hard drive, NOT as an ISO

Question:
    If I use the ISO burning guide on the xp-erience guides page but use the install files instead of the .ISO will the resulting CD still be bootable? And if not, what can I do to fix this?

Thanks All!

2. MiseryQ

MiseryQ Guest

3. Mister Zee

Mister Zee Guest

I'm afraid that whatever you do, you won't be able to recreate a bootable CD just like the original one, unless you do have an ISO. The ISO file contains the boot image and some other system files that need to be burnt in a specific section of the CD.

So unless you actually copy a boot image, you won't be able to boot the CD, sorry man. Nothing you can do unless you get a *cough* legitimate *cough* copy of XP =P

4. MiseryQ

MiseryQ Guest

Read the article... It has links to everything you need,,, I've made more bootable Xp cds, I got my first copy almost a year ago, than I can remember...

5. Mister Zee

Mister Zee Guest

Have you actually used an ISO file to do that? Or you did it from scratch, copying files and using your own boot image? How did you do it exactly? The guy doesn't have the ISO file, he copied the files on his HDD.