CPU usage at 100% ?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by dscanbs, Dec 16, 2003.

1. dscanbs

dscanbs Guest

I have noticed a slight slowdown in my computer and when i press Ctrl+Alt+Delete it shows that my CPU usage is at 100%. What is the deal with that. It is always at 100% and doesn't go down? Any tips or things to look at would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. NumberXaero

NumberXaero Guest

using Xp or 2000 im guessing. Go into taskmanager and processes tab look at CPU column what is the name of the program using 100% (or a lot of the CPU) under image name column

3. I had a problem a while ago where my processor usage was 100% constantly, and nothing showed up in the Task Manager. It turned out to be soundcard drivers, which I just replaced.

4. jdn

jdn I'm trying

Virus or spyware

5. Alan

Alan its only fun

6. theevilsithlord

theevilsithlord Hail to the King, Baby!

I just had the EXACT same thing happen to me... then i ran Spybot, and after a ton of stuff came up, I hit clean and poof... cpu usage back to normal.

7. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

also if you have anything that uses C-Dilla you need to patch it up to v 3.57 or something like that, as it can cause a constant 100% CPU usage

8. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

I could be completely off but your not running something like Seti or UD are you?

9. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Ummm, CPU usage is always at 100%. 99% of that is usually system idle process which is the CPU "doing nothing".

Look under the Process tab for details of what is running adn how much CPU time it uses.

10. dscanbs

dscanbs Guest

I have narrowed the problem down to the process called control.exe When I end the process my computer performance is greatly increased. Any ideas what control.exe is and how to not have it start up? Thanks for the previous suggestions.

11. No idea, sounds like a trojan or something :/

12. Alan

Alan its only fun

just googled it and its could be a couple of things

Control Panel or something to do with Linux...

HTH
    Alan

13. dscanbs

dscanbs Guest

Problem solved. I found a file control.exe that was created about 2 weeks ago. I deleted it and now it doesn't come up in the processes tab of the task manager. Thanks for all the help.