CPU Upgrade

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by manokent63, Jul 11, 2002.

1. manokent63

manokent63 OSNN Junior Addict

I have already been told that my CPU is way too slow...I know...get with the times!

New to this tweaking and upgrade fun. What I need to know is will I be able to upgrade my current CPU. System specs below

HP Pavilion 8690 (UK)
    AMD Athlon 650MHz
    AMD 751 Irongate chipset
    ASUS K7M 1.04 Socket A mobo
    256mb sdram
    15gb ultra DMA HD
    TNT2PRO 32mb AGP X2
    DVD 8X
    HP CD Writer Plus

:)

2. G-Lizard86

G-Lizard86 Guest

Thought of overclocking yet?

3. manokent63

Can I?
    How do you go about it?

:confused:

4. stuy_b

stuy_b Guest

5. G-Lizard86

G-Lizard86 Guest

Are you know with fsb (front side bus speed) and multipliers?

6. Iceman

Iceman Moderator

The problem is you got a ready made computer there in that HP Pavilion 8690. experienced puter users would not touch that puter for the following reasons.

1. 90% of the time no upgrades are available, means you can't change the hardware.

2. it comes bloated with the companies crap.

what I would do if I was u, get a new motherboard, and cpu, and a new vid card too.

If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, find a local computer store and have them do it, you will like the new computer much much better.

just my opinion

:cool:

7. G-Lizard86

G-Lizard86 Guest

Hey iceman...remember..i got my standard packard bell from 450 to 550...so it is possible..i don't say it would really help much...but it sounds quit cool no?:rolleyes: :D

8. Iceman

Iceman Moderator

yes, but you changed everything if I remeber right G- Lizard86. You changed the motherboard, CPU, etc, right?

I'm not addressing the overclock issue here, Iceman38 does not overclock, if Iceman38 wants a CPU to perform at the 2100+ level he buys the 2100+. I'm not knocking overclocking, I just don't think it's worth the risk is all.

:cool: :cool:

9. G-Lizard86

G-Lizard86 Guest

no that was with my old motherboard (PB Miami) and my old cpu (AMD K6-2 450 mhz)...i got it up at 550 by changing the jumpers on the mobo. This one is now running @ 1370....not that high...but i can get up much more..:p lol but i won't...don't wanna destroy it now i've come so far...(that's is poetic if u know what i mean):confused:

10. manokent63

Not to happy with overclocking!!!

Iceman..totally agree with your comments but without getting a new mobo will I be able to upgrade the processor?

11. G-Lizard86

G-Lizard86 Guest

Try to find out what your mobo supports, and pic one out:D

12. Iceman

Iceman Moderator

here u go download the manual and see what CPU's it supports

Manual

13. Iceman

Iceman Moderator

Looks like the Motherboard will only accept

Slot A Athlon 500-750+

not a real big jump from 650 to 750.

14. G-Lizard86

G-Lizard86 Guest

no but it is something...tried fsb programs...and maybe swithing jumpers..if you have a good cooler (or else buy one), then there is nothing to worry about...remember..o/c is an art...:p:rolleyes: :cool: :D

15. manokent63

Thanks for all the info