CPU Temp - Odd?

polarbear_ak

OSNN Junior Addict
Take a look at this pic. This is my cpu temp. I though the cpu temp was suppose to be the hottest thing in your system...
It is not running any special fan either. Just the stock fan that came with the processor inside the amd box.

System Specs
AMD 2200XP
512 DDR PC2700 Ram
GeForce 3 TI 500
1 - 75 GB IBM
1 - 40 GB Seagate
1 - 40 GB Maxtor
1 - 12x8x32 HP CD-RW

Looks like you might need a fan to get the heat out of the case maybe. Is the one you have blowing the right way? Out not in.

edit - Just noticed you have not got a chassis fan. Get one. That should cool it down.

47°C is way too hot for the inside of a case (should be around 35°C usually, atleast that what my high limit is). I suggest getting an intake fan and outtake fan (or 2 of each). Your Video Card and numerous HDD are creating all of that heat, you need to get it out of there.

That reading is not right. The laws of thermodynamics won't allow a higher ambient temperature than the CPU temperature.

One of the temps is not reading right. Or they both are wrong. If the reading is right the case temp is too high. The CPU also seems to be too low. Check the MB makers web site for bios upgrades and any FAQs on the problem.

With that set up you need 2 case fans, one inlet, one exhaust make sure you have them.

Before you do anything though stick a small (non-metallic) thermometer inside the case near the motherboard, close it up and do stuff for a while. Open as quick as you can and check the temp. Under 40 deg C (preferably 35C or less) is best.

I was thinking that this could also be due to where the Mobo is reporting the temp, some mobo's have their case heat sensor right by the chipset which can be hot.

I agree LeeJend, if the Processor is cooler that its surroundings, it is acting as the heatsink and absorbing the heat from the surroundings. Energy transfer always occurs high to low.

There is 2 fans on the back of the case blowing out and there are 3 on the front of the case blowing in and there is a pci fan that is directly under the video card blowing out. And there is a fan on the side mount of the Case blowing out and the cables are rounded as to not restict the flow of the Fans. So there are plenty of fans in there. I am not sure why it is still so hot. Mind you the house is a bit warm, but that should not be it.

Edit: The Bios is updated to the newest one. The Motherboard is an KD7-RAID (Abit) www.abit-usa.com
Polar

try re-downloading the hardware monitoring program here. the one you're using might be older and not completely compatible with newer bioses. just a guess.

"System temp" isn't case temp, it's more like Northbridge temp, which can be high if there isn't a fan on the Northbridge. My computer usually sits at CPU: 42 (stock fan) and System: 43 (no fan).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back