Counterfit Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Bman, May 7, 2008.

1. Bman

Bman OSNN Veteran Original

So it turns out my copy of OEM Windows Vista Ultimate is fake. I sorta knew it was when I first got it, but I never tested it to see. I just installed Vista and basically at the install screen it asks me to choose a manufacturer (so it basically does that Paradox crack). Though it didn't work. So I tried to change the CD Key and Register the key that I got with the disc and says it's invalid, go figure.

What I am wondering is if there is something I can do. Is there a place I can go to tell/give the Fake CD to Microsoft and they send me a real one? What are my options?

2. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

3. Bman

Bman OSNN Veteran Original

If I tell them the price I paid for it, which is MUCH less then normal Retail or OEM, will they charge me more money?

4. gonaads

gonaads Beware the G-Man Political User Folding Team

Possibly, probably. Well then don't tell them the true amount you paid, up the amount to a cost close to what M$ is charging for it. All this is moot if they want proof of purchase (sales receipt).

5. Dark Atheist

Dark Atheist Moderator Political User Folding Team

can always use photoshop for that :)

6. gonaads

gonaads Beware the G-Man Political User Folding Team

I didn't hear a thing. :rolleyes:

7. vern

vern Dominus Political User Folding Team

I got a fake XP Pro one time. When I tried to get a legit key from MS, I had to buy the Genuine Advantage XP Pro at full price.

8. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

How the hell do you get fake media?

:eek:

And can you not get an educational copy? They usually run a lot cheaper than regular retail/OEM don't they?

9. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

never really thought of this. i'm a student and would love a discount on vista premium 64-bit. any info?

10. ray_gillespie

ray_gillespie Moderator Staff Member Political User

I got one - they're tricky to find but they are out there. Mine cost me about £50 for 32-bit Home Premium but because it's a full retail version (as opposed to OEM) my licence is for both the 32-bit and 64-bit so when the SP1 version of Vista was released I installed the the 64-bit version with SP1 intergrated. You can either download this or just get MS to send you the 64-bit media for a small handling charge.

If you're a student or otherwise involved in education, this is definitely the best way to go, it's EXACTLY the same as the full retail 'non-educational' version.

11. Henyman

Henyman Secret Goat Fetish Political User

12. Dark Atheist

Dark Atheist Moderator Political User Folding Team

from the person above me i expect, everything off the back of a cow :p

13. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT Builder/Installer

I *think* that in order for Microsoft to provide a significantly reduced-priced copy of Genuine Windows, you have to provide information about the source of your non-Genuine Windows, so that they can go after them legally. So you probably have to testify and go into the MGWPP (Microsoft Genuine Witness Protection Program). j/k the last sentence. :laugh: