copying files from a cd thats partially corrupt

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by dayle, Oct 25, 2002.

1. dayle

dayle Guest

hey guys i need help in copying files from a cd thats partially corrupt

the cd has only 3 curropt files on it and i got to know this using a util called CDCheck
    the 3 files are not in the same dir so its diff to unselect them whilst copying the entire disk

could you please tell me a way to skip these files while the progress bar kinda gets stuck when it reaches it and then aborts totally instead of continuing

thanks
    dayle

see the screenshot attached

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Have you tried giving the cd a good clean?

3. dayle

dayle Guest

yes i have ..i just want to skip those curropted files and move on with the copying to my hdd

4. Khayman

Khayman I'm sorry Hal... Political User Folding Team

try copying everything except the directory which the corrupt files are in then go into that directory and copy the other files in that directory (if there is any)

Also can try to make an ISO or other image of the cd on you HD then extract the files form the image

5. dayle

dayle Guest

excluding the files that are curropt arent a option really cos there are many subfolders and many more and more of them...its vs.net disk 1 you know and ms has a whole lot of folders so its confusing that way

i can make an image of the disk in nero but it will only burn onto another disk with the same curropt files.is there a way to make an image then break it up onto the hdd

6. dayle

dayle Guest

i found this app called undisker at http://www.qsxgroup.com/ i think its gonna solve my prob..it can break apart iso's to the hdd

7. Khayman

yeah, thats what it meant. hope it helps, there is also a program called isobuster which does a similar thing

8. dayle

dayle Guest

i tried both undisker and iso buster

undisker sucks and isobuster hangs up somewhere in between and i have to end the task

isnt there a way in windows itself where i can use a hot key while pasting the files directly from the cd to the hdd

please tell me there is

9. Burpster

Burpster Guest

i always use Winiso for such stuff.......works very nicely :)

10. Khayman

you could use xcopy in a command window to copy the disc and specify the files on the exclude list

run cmd then type xcopy/? to get the full list of options and how to use it

works something like

xcopy <source drive>\*.* <destination> /E /EXCLUDE:exclude.txt

with exclude.txt being a plain file with the names of the files you don't want to copy each on a new line

11. dayle

dayle Guest

thanks khayman xcopy is the best..never knew dos would come so handy:)

12. dayle

dayle Guest

just to let ya all know that i managed to get the good files using xcopy and that the curropt files were available on the net

thanks