Controller Problems??

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Kip Crawford, Dec 12, 2001.

1. Kip Crawford

Kip Crawford Guest

I'm having a problem with the system freezing and the display blanking out and having to re-boot to get the monitor on. This happens sporadically, especially if I use PS6; but sometimes it just "plain happens". I go into Event Viewer right after boot up from these things and I get a group that of eight errors. 7 of them say: SOURCE-DISK message says "device detected a controller error on \DEVICE\HARDDISK0\D

Then one message says:SOURCE-ATAPI error message says: "A Parity error was detected on DEVICE\IDE\Ideport0

I have a AMD 750
    VIA Chipset
    196Meg RAM
    20g HD running NTFS

Any clues? This is a brand new motherboard by the way.

Thanks

Kip

:confused:

2. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

Looks like everything is fingering your hard-drive. Suggestion one is to get the latest bios flashed in. Suggestion two is to get all your really important stuff backed up - possible hard disk crash in your near future. After the back-up i'd get some drive diagnostic utilities and see if my drive was on it's last few spins or not.

3. a_scoundral

a_scoundral Guest

BACK UP!!!!

Run a lowlevel scan on your HDD. If it survives, and seems fine then try updating your AMD chipset drivers. If you still XP-erience problems get an IDE/ATA addon card that has the WHQL (XP) approved sticker on it. They cost about 50 bucks.

Happy computing.;)