Connection Loss

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by AquariousStorm, Jul 11, 2002.

1. I wonder if anyone can help me.... I recently had a PC upgrade to an AMD AthlonXP PR1800+, Soltek SL75DRV5 Skt A DDR M/board with 384 MB RAM. I have NTL Broadband connection (512) which i have via a D-Link DFE-530TX PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter (rev.A).

My upgrade enabled me to use the latest Windows OS XP..... BUT since the upgrade my connection drops during a session. Web pages slow to a virtual halt although I don't get the error page, my instant messenger doesn't send any data although it doesn't sign me out completely or any download's come to a standstill!!

I know it's not my ISP because the problem is resolved with a restart without resetting the cable modem.

Why am I having this problem? I had no trouble with 98se on my Pentium II!!

Perhaps Microsoft Windows XP is short for Microsoft Windows with Xtra Problems!
    :(

2. Iceman

Iceman Moderator

Did you do the upgrade option when installing or the new install, probably have a lot of junk left from 98.

I would boot from the XP CD, and do a clean install, only do this after backing up files that you want, or other stuff, see if that fixes the problem.

There are other options of course, but it sounds like you have settings and files left over from 98, might be wrong though.

:cool:

3. It was a fresh install :confused:

4. Iceman

Iceman Moderator

well disregard my previous post then, sorry wasn't clear on that in your first post.

5. Sorry I should of said... Thanks anyway :)

6. Iceman

Iceman Moderator

One suggestion I would make is to make sure u got the lastest drivers for that network card, try to use the Manufacturers drivers versus the Windows update drivers, that might solve it.

good luck m8