Computer trying to explode (maybe)

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Ohzopants, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Ohzopants

Ohzopants My mom thinks I'm cool

I have no idea what to make of my latest computer challenge: :confused:

My computer keeps making this really strange clicking noise. It's not like any other clicking noise I've ever heard (not caused by something spinning). It produces single isolated clicks, at no regular interval. They don't appear to happen when I'm doing one particular thing. It's very random and worrisome.

I suspect my power supply; when I bought my computer about 2 years ago I paid no particular attention to what kind of power supply I bought. My setup is as follows so maybe someone can tell me if it's in any way excessive for a cheap power supply:

Motherboard: Asus A7V333
    Processor: Athlon XP 1800+
    RAM: 1024 MB PC2700 (256+256+512)
    Vid Card: ATI Radeon 8500 All-In-Wonder
    HDD1: Maxtor 40 GB 7200 RPM
    HDD2: Quantum 6 GB 5400 RPM
    Optical drive 1: LG DVD drive
    Optical drive 2: LG DVD/CD writer
    Case fans: 1 front, 2 back (18mm)
    CPU fan: Something by Volcano
    Sound Card: Sound blaster Live Value
    Plus a standard floppy drive and NIC.
  2. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

Red Sox Nation
    Off the top of my head, I'd suspect the Quantum drive.
  3. the_music_man

the_music_man aka prodj88 =P

open it up and turn it on then try to hear where its coming from? just don't cut ur ear on the fans...LOLZ! its happened to me before.
  4. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Between Austin and Tampa
    first off.. disconnect all your fans... cept your cpu fan of course :)

and ensure the fans you have not disconnected do not have ANY wires near them that might accidently be clicking aganst them..

fire it up and see if the clicks are there...

if they are in might well be your hdd :(
  5. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Fort Worth, TX
    After that unplug the case speaker and the external speakers. See if the noise goes away.

BTW how often does it occur? And are you sure it's from the PC and not the monitor? In the monitor it could be the high voltage arc'ing over.

And make sure there is no dust build up on your cpu fan. The dust is enough to unbalance a 5000 rpm fan and make the blades clip the sides.
  6. xsivforce

xsivforce Prodigal Son Folding Team

Texas, USA
    First instinct would be the Quantum drive as it is a 6 GB drive which means it is probably older. If you have access to a stethoscope it would help you to diagnose it. The "clicking" could be slight sparking in your power supply so I would give that a listen as well.
  7. TheBlueRaja

TheBlueRaja BR to Some

No Audigy 2 - so its not that... :D