Computer slows when downloading

belveder

OSNN Senior Addict
Could someone please tell me what would be slowing down my computer when I am downloading?

It has only been going on for the last few days and a lot worse when I use FlashGet or Quadnews.

It takes a couple minutes to open a web page rather than the usual almost instant and games keep temporarily slowing down.

Have checked for viruses and have reset IE's settings

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

you didn't just upgrade to norton 2004 by chance did you?

What type of connection do you have? If you are on cable and run a server do alot of uploading as well as downloads, your ISP may have capped your modem. Call and ask them. They will uncap it for you if you promise to cut back on your server.

I have unlimited download ADSL. I have noticed though that even on Kazaa the highest bandwidth I can get is 117

117 on kazaa isnt bad
117*8 is close to 1000Mbps
which is decent for aDSL

I usually get a variety of bandwidth going anywhere from 450 to 1200 though

wait, is it your computer or your DL speed thats slowing?
cause if its your computer, maybe you need to get more RAM. on my old machine, i only had 128MB of SDRAM, and it would slow down incredibly when i DLed big files at 700kbps. especially when i used an outside downloading client, like flashget or download express.

celticfan11 I am complaining because I no longer get that, and I can't download and play games at the same time like I could before. It's suddenly all stopped.

mmmm memory, could be it, I have 512 ddr 2700 ram but it is a generic brand, could be faulty. What would the best way be to check?

when download extremely fast, your computer intends to slow.

if you had faulty ram i think youd get other issues instead of this one... have you defraged? scandisk? do you have 2 hard drives?
download to each drive seperatelly
or copy and paste a gig file on the hard drive that mite simulate downloading ??? maybe im wrong but thats what id try
try to narrow the problem down

When I'm d/ling which I'm usually doing 24/7 and also uploading my surfing speeds slow down quite a bit and I'm using pretty fast cable. When I'm not downloading (connected to emule or Kazaa) I'm surfing extremely fast. What I've noticed lately is even when I'm not connected to my p2p program people are still uploading off of me, which really sucks.

check 2 see if a process is using up ur CPU % = whats the cpu usage when this happens.

FlashGet or Quadnews are the problem, or rather limited bandwidth is the problem and those 2 programs are aggravating it.

Playing games, opening pages, etc requires bandwidth. The two programs you are using are designed to hog all of your bandwidth to get the files transfered as fast as they can. That leaves nothing for games or surfing.

I just formatted :D That did the job, everything works fine now, speeds are back to what they were, never did figure it out but oh well, a format every now and then does wonders

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back