Computer slows when downloading

Discussion in 'Funny Farm' started by belveder, Oct 16, 2003.

1. belveder

belveder OSNN Senior Addict

Could someone please tell me what would be slowing down my computer when I am downloading?

It has only been going on for the last few days and a lot worse when I use FlashGet or Quadnews.

It takes a couple minutes to open a web page rather than the usual almost instant and games keep temporarily slowing down.

Have checked for viruses and have reset IE's settings

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

2. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

you didn't just upgrade to norton 2004 by chance did you?

3. belveder

LOL, nah, don't use any Norton's products at all.

4. roban

roban Guest

What type of connection do you have? If you are on cable and run a server do alot of uploading as well as downloads, your ISP may have capped your modem. Call and ask them. They will uncap it for you if you promise to cut back on your server.

5. belveder

I have unlimited download ADSL. I have noticed though that even on Kazaa the highest bandwidth I can get is 117

6. celticfan11

celticfan11 Moderator

117 on kazaa isnt bad
    117*8 is close to 1000Mbps
    which is decent for aDSL

7. belveder

I usually get a variety of bandwidth going anywhere from 450 to 1200 though

8. celticfan11

celticfan11 Moderator

then why are u complaing about 1000Mbps if u get 450-1200

9. Bronx Bomber

Bronx Bomber Guest

wait, is it your computer or your DL speed thats slowing?
    cause if its your computer, maybe you need to get more RAM. on my old machine, i only had 128MB of SDRAM, and it would slow down incredibly when i DLed big files at 700kbps. especially when i used an outside downloading client, like flashget or download express.

10. belveder

celticfan11 I am complaining because I no longer get that, and I can't download and play games at the same time like I could before. It's suddenly all stopped.

mmmm memory, could be it, I have 512 ddr 2700 ram but it is a generic brand, could be faulty. What would the best way be to check?

11. FoSsiL

FoSsiL Guest

when download extremely fast, your computer intends to slow.

12. celticfan11

celticfan11 Moderator

if you had faulty ram i think youd get other issues instead of this one... have you defraged? scandisk? do you have 2 hard drives?
    download to each drive seperatelly
    or copy and paste a gig file on the hard drive that mite simulate downloading ??? maybe im wrong but thats what id try
    try to narrow the problem down

13. napalmnthemorning

napalmnthemorning Moderator

When I'm d/ling which I'm usually doing 24/7 and also uploading my surfing speeds slow down quite a bit and I'm using pretty fast cable. When I'm not downloading (connected to emule or Kazaa) I'm surfing extremely fast. What I've noticed lately is even when I'm not connected to my p2p program people are still uploading off of me, which really sucks.

14. Singleman593

Singleman593 Guest

check 2 see if a process is using up ur CPU % = whats the cpu usage when this happens.

15. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

FlashGet or Quadnews are the problem, or rather limited bandwidth is the problem and those 2 programs are aggravating it.

Playing games, opening pages, etc requires bandwidth. The two programs you are using are designed to hog all of your bandwidth to get the files transfered as fast as they can. That leaves nothing for games or surfing.

16. belveder

I just formatted :D That did the job, everything works fine now, speeds are back to what they were, never did figure it out but oh well, a format every now and then does wonders