computer runs for few seconds then shuts down?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by oO ShifterZ Oo, Dec 22, 2003.

1. i have new gigabyte mobo/2500xp and pc2700 512 RAM n ati 128 9200 vidcard, w/ 160 g hdd.

now i run the computer for a few sec (still on bios screen or setup from winxp disc) n i hear a loud noise n the comptuer shuts down?

wats w/ it??

2. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Loud noise as in a beep? It's probably the BIOS executing a safety procedure, thinking something is wrong. This is usually caused by:

- CPU overheat (heatsink is off, badly mounted)
    - Fan failure (CPU fan is broken or connected to the wrong socket)
    - Dodgy sensors (everything is ok, but the sensors are crappy)

The solution is to check the cables/heatsink/fans and reset the BIOS. This will hopefully revert the safety settings so it won't auto-shutdown.

Good luck! :)

3. ntentz

ntentz FingerBanger

Had the same thing happen jsut the other night, once i got into it i thought it was the harddrive I could hear it powering up and down over and over in the few secs in was on. If i unhooked the drive(which is brand new) the computer booted, i threw another psu in and all powered right up, so power supply went on mine, keep it in mind if nothing else comes up.

4. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

What size is the power supply? 300W is minimum recommended for that setup. A good 250W might handle it but it's iff'y because the large RAM and new HDs use a lot more current on the 5vdc than the older systems did.

The power supply rating will be on a label on one of it's covers visible inside the case.

5. rushm001

rushm001 In the beginning...... Political User

Sounds like a heatsink which isn't properly fitted. THe computer may emit a series of beeps like Zendric said.

6. lfotto

lfotto Guest

I have had the same symptoms before. Once it was the fan on the CPU not functioning. The other time it was the Power Supply.