Computer Restarting

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Richy, Aug 13, 2006.

1. Richy

Richy Beyond All Comprehension.

Hey everyone, I was just having some problems with my comp restarting by itself. This has been happening for a long time, and I just can't figure what it is. I have no virus' or anything, so im not sure what to do. Does anyone know what this problem might be and how I can fix it? Thanks.

2. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

no idea what it might be - does it do this when not in use whatsoever? I would check your BIOS settings and also look into the option that says to restart automagically on a problem - chances are there is an error being concealed by that, it is in the computer management somewhere (I forget where, but I suspect you can find it or search forum to get it)

[edit] just came across this post - gives you exactly what I was referring to! :cool: Thanks AZ![/edit]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2006
  3. fitz

fitz Just Floating Along Staff Member Political User Folding Team

could also check your event logs after the reboot to see if anything in there gives you a clue as to what went wrong.

Could possibly be a heat issue as well (although usually a overheated system will just hang instead of reboot)..

4. lancer

lancer There is no answer! Political User Folding Team

its in system properties/advanced/startup and recovery

5. Gus K

Gus K NTFS abuser

Maybe a heat issue? Open your rig and clean it, making sure all fans are spinning.

6. jbourque_99

jbourque_99 OSNN One Post Wonder

spontaneous re-booting is often a sign of memory chips failing. Try taking your chips out one at a time and rebooting, or moving the chips and re-seating them