complete HD wipe

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by RobbieSan, Oct 18, 2002.

1. RobbieSan

RobbieSan Guest

hey gang.. what is a good program to use on a floppy that will do an unconditional wipe of a HD?

the reason I ask is that a while ago I got infected with a virus or something weird happened where tehre are a number of FAT, NTFS, or Linux partitions some small some large as far as size reports go.. I want to compeltely wipe this HD.. can anyone recommend a simple program to do this that will fit on a floppy?

2. the_tazinator

the_tazinator Are we there yet?

fdisk, it is on any Win 9x/ME boot disk.

3. RobbieSan

RobbieSan Guest

nope, I tried that.. need to completely wipe the drive not play with partitions.. I did use Fdisk originally and wiped out the partitions and rebuilt them.. after that and full format the stuff I need to get rid of is still there.. I need something that simply wipes/overwrites every single piece of info.. thanks for the response all the same taz.. btw, what is she riding?

4. phishhead

phishhead OSNN Senior Addict

do the fdisk and then make the partitions and then use the fdisk /mbr then format...try that

5. the_tazinator

the_tazinator Are we there yet?

What kind of stuff is going on with the hard drive? Could it be a physical problem with the drive? Have you tried any disk diag. tools from the manufacture?

btw.... I will never tell :D

6. SickBoi

SickBoi Kicker of Elves

a huge magnet.. muhaha

7. scriptasylum

scriptasylum Moderator

You might be able to "low-level" format the drive. This type of format is much deeper than fdisk or normal format. I would go to the manufacturer's website or support and see if they have a program that will do that. I think you can use a low-level format program from a different drive manufacturer, but cannot be sure.

8. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

"fdisk /MBR" will fix any problems with the Master Boot Record (cleaning some viruses needs this).