Command Prompt on Desktop

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Aeternus, Apr 8, 2003.

1. Aeternus

Aeternus Guest

I did a forum search first, but no results showed up, so here I go :)

Is it possible to integrate the command prompt in my Active Desktop? If so, how would I go about doing that?

Many thanks in advance,

Aeternus

2. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

Very interesting question. I don't think it's possible, since you have to go into the source of cmd.exe and the source is not available. But I do think it's possible to call the cmd.exe from a HTML-script, ie you type in 'C:\folder\file.exe' in a text field and the script makes 'C:\windows\system32\cmd.exe C:\folder\file.exe' of it.
    If that is what you need, I could try make one for you.

3. Un4gIvEn1

Un4gIvEn1 Moderator

Aeternus: Maybe if you could give us more information as to what you are trying to do, maybe we could help you figure out what else might be possible.

4. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

Almost forgot: Welcome to NTFS!

5. Un4gIvEn1

Un4gIvEn1 Moderator

Might be the complete opposite of what you are looking for... but if you save the following in a file (call it cmdprompthere.reg or something) and then run that, it will add an option to your "right click" menu. If you select a folder and then right click and select "Command Prompt" it will open it with that dir as the current dir. Good luck, and Welcome!

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\OpenNew]
    @="Command Prompt"
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\OpenNew\Command]
    @="cmd.exe /k cd %1"

6. Aeternus

Aeternus Guest

Thanks for the replies and the welcome :D

Glaanieboy: I was already afraid it wouldn't be possible :huh:
    I also thought of the solution you gave, but that means a new command window will pop up every time, so that's not really what I'm looking for. Thanks for the suggestion though :)

Un4gIvEn1: I would like to integrate the command prompt in my active desktop, thus have some type of textarea in my HTML file that does exactly the same as the command prompt. Hope this makes clear what I want to do...

I am now using this program [LINK]. It works great, but it sits in my taskbar, that's the only annoying thing about it..

7. Un4gIvEn1

Un4gIvEn1 Moderator

The only way I think that it would be possible is by using Java or something.

8. baser5nature

baser5nature OSNN Addict

i'm guessing since, active desktop is based around links mainly, you're not looking to only have a link to the command prompt on your active desktop right?

your actually trying to make a text entry field that will behave like a command prompt window?

If you use the taskbar, you can add the address bar and it will behave for the most part like the run command box, which is similar to a command prompt...(the only difference i've noticed is that if what you type isn't anything in the "system or system32" folders it just does an internet search)

and if you use the program "FreshUI" from Fresh Devices , you can add programs and scripts to the command path, and launch all your applications with text commands to the address bar...

9. Aeternus

Aeternus Guest

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm trying to achieve..

That's a nice suggestion, but I'm not looking to launch applications from the command prompt. I'll mainly use commands like 'ping', 'tracert', 'netstat' and such...

Thanks for all the help :)

10. Un4gIvEn1

Un4gIvEn1 Moderator

Here ya go bud... http://perso.wanadoo.fr/ruindivision/features.htm

I know it may not be EXACTLY what you are looking for, but I know that in my quest to find a solution for you, I have found something that I will probably use. I find myself using ping, nbtstat, tracert, and a lot of other things and sometimes it becomes a pain to launch cmd.exe all the time. Hope this helps. Good luck.

11. Aeternus

Aeternus Guest

Thanks man, that's really appreciated! :D

I think that's as close as we'll get :)

Thanks again,

Aeternus