Columbo actor 'has Alzheimer's'

Discussion in 'Entertainment & Sports' started by Evil Marge, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Evil Marge

Evil Marge I Rule Political User

Just read this on the BBC, what a shame. My grandad had alzheimer's, it's a cruel disease :(
    I absolutely loved watching Columbo especially the way you knew who did it from the beginning then you just sat back and watched him do his stuff :)

2. Gigabot

Gigabot OSNN Senior Addict

Really sorry to hear it. I hope his daughter will be able to take care of him.

3. epk

epk Moderator Political User Folding Team

alzheimer does suck :/
    my great aunt had it... and my mom's teacher from college killed himself when he realized he was in early stages (must be really really tough when u're a neurologyst)

4. Dark Atheist

Dark Atheist Moderator Political User Folding Team

i would make a comment here but i doubt it would be well received, even though my granddad had it i will refrain from what i was going to say

5. binoyxj

binoyxj PrOuD InDiAn

Poor chap... unlucky for him to have alzheimer s .Hope his daughter looks after him well.

6. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

I liked him, it is a shame.

7. Evil Marge

Is it the same thing you didn't say here? :lick:

8. Dark Atheist

Dark Atheist Moderator Political User Folding Team

how is a news story anything like the comment i never said ? :p

9. trukkmann

trukkmann OSNN Addict

Alzheimer's Disease is brought on by protein 'mis-folds' in the afflicted's brain. A link has been recently discovered between Alzheimer's and Diabetes, so regular checkups and thorough treatment of Diabetes may be integral to staving off Alzheimer's later in life.

Stanford University's Folding @ Home distributed computing project is attempting to map the complex process of protein folding and subsequent mis-folding to try to help scientists and drug manufaturers identify markers that may assist in a better understanding of protein-related disease, as well as a more exacting, pinpoint treatment for patients. Anyone interested in helping scientists find cures for Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, ALS, many forms of Cancer and other protein-related diseases should check out the project. http://folding.stanford.edu/

OSNN has it's own folding team, team #35216 for those who don't know. And on behalf of those suffering with these diseases, which included members of my own family, I would like to say thank you for your contribution guys. Past and present, every piece of the puzzle you help with matters.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  10. Evil Marge

Don't ask me, I just noticed where it say's Similar Threads that you made the same topic as me about another person with Alzheimer's. :D

11. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

My great grandmother had Alzheimer's before she died. It was bad. She went one day of knowing who I was to not knowing the next day. She didn't know even know who her daughter was, what her name was, where she was, what day it was.