Codec help(sorry if its been done to death)

I would like to ask for your assistance in rectifying a problem I've been encountering on my comp. Fist off, I have a Pentium 4 1.6Ghz 512MB DDRAM, 60 Gig HD, WinXP OS. I currently have Kazaa Lite K++, WinMX, Windows Media PLayer 9, Real Player, and Quicktime installed on my comp. My problem is this: How can I start off from a clean slate, without uninstalling all the programs, when it comes to codec instatllation or removal? Can someone recommend the best codec package out here?? I tried installing K-Lite Mega Codec Package but it ended up messing up settings on my other media players. I am no computer genius and I need to be steered in teh right direction, as far as how to uninstall previously installed codecs so that they won't interfere with each media player. Also,I'd like for the codecs to be able to play all types of files. What can I do to have a smooth media experience on my comp?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last I knew, the Nimo pack was buggy. Also, the full version had spyware.

I've always been worked under the auspices of installing each coded individually when needed...

K-Lite Codec Pack works just as well as Nimo.

You will never find a CODEC pack that works for everything. There are hundreds out there and one small change can make CODEC output incompatible with other CODECs.

Go to program add/remove and uninstall any codecs that show up there. Then install the K-lite pack. This will not clean out all the junk. There is no way to do that short of a reformat and reinstall. You will need to add new CODECs as new applications or new file types are encontered.

For the future find a program that monitors what gets installed on your PC and then you can at least go back and get rid of the junk.

The total mess in CODEC compatibility is probably the worst disaster in PC land except for the number of security holes in MS products.

I also agree that installing codecs as-needed is a good way to go. The problem most people run into is that the media player won't play a certain video, and it doesn't tell them why. You obviously need to know what codec is needed if your video won't play correctly, and so my suggestion is to use VirtualDub. If the correct codec isn't installed, then VirtualDub will tell you what is needed. Then all you have to do is do a Google search for the codec to download and install it. Simple as that, and it keeps you from having to install unneeded codecs. :)

http://www.virtualdub.org

muzikool said:
I also agree that installing codecs as-needed is a good way to go. The problem most people run into is that the media player won't play a certain video, and it doesn't tell them why. You obviously need to know what codec is needed if your video won't play correctly, and so my suggestion is to use VirtualDub. If the correct codec isn't installed, then VirtualDub will tell you what is needed. Then all you have to do is do a Google search for the codec to download and install it. Simple as that, and it keeps you from having to install unneeded codecs. :)

http://www.virtualdub.org
Thanks for all your help

Sure thing, hope it works out for ya.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back