Codec help(sorry if its been done to death)

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by fishunter92, Mar 2, 2004.

1. fishunter92

fishunter92 Noob

I would like to ask for your assistance in rectifying a problem I've been encountering on my comp. Fist off, I have a Pentium 4 1.6Ghz 512MB DDRAM, 60 Gig HD, WinXP OS. I currently have Kazaa Lite K++, WinMX, Windows Media PLayer 9, Real Player, and Quicktime installed on my comp. My problem is this: How can I start off from a clean slate, without uninstalling all the programs, when it comes to codec instatllation or removal? Can someone recommend the best codec package out here?? I tried installing K-Lite Mega Codec Package but it ended up messing up settings on my other media players. I am no computer genius and I need to be steered in teh right direction, as far as how to uninstall previously installed codecs so that they won't interfere with each media player. Also,I'd like for the codecs to be able to play all types of files. What can I do to have a smooth media experience on my comp?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Uninstall any codecs you may have installed to date, then download and install the Nimo codec pack, which is available here:
    http://nimo.titanesk.com/modules/news/
    But be sure to take heed of any warnings it gives in the box during installation!

3. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

Last I knew, the Nimo pack was buggy. Also, the full version had spyware.

I've always been worked under the auspices of installing each coded individually when needed...

4. vern

vern Dominus Political User Folding Team

K-Lite Codec Pack works just as well as Nimo.

5. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

You will never find a CODEC pack that works for everything. There are hundreds out there and one small change can make CODEC output incompatible with other CODECs.

Go to program add/remove and uninstall any codecs that show up there. Then install the K-lite pack. This will not clean out all the junk. There is no way to do that short of a reformat and reinstall. You will need to add new CODECs as new applications or new file types are encontered.

For the future find a program that monitors what gets installed on your PC and then you can at least go back and get rid of the junk.

The total mess in CODEC compatibility is probably the worst disaster in PC land except for the number of security holes in MS products.

6. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

I also agree that installing codecs as-needed is a good way to go. The problem most people run into is that the media player won't play a certain video, and it doesn't tell them why. You obviously need to know what codec is needed if your video won't play correctly, and so my suggestion is to use VirtualDub. If the correct codec isn't installed, then VirtualDub will tell you what is needed. Then all you have to do is do a Google search for the codec to download and install it. Simple as that, and it keeps you from having to install unneeded codecs. :)

http://www.virtualdub.org

7. fishunter92

fishunter92 Noob

Thanks for all your help

8. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

Sure thing, hope it works out for ya.