Cloning problems

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by DJC, Oct 7, 2003.

1. DJC

DJC Guest

I have a laptop with an internal 40Gb hard drive with two partitions (C and E), a CDRW (D) and a 120GB firewire external hard drive (F).

I would like to backup my two partitions (C and E) onto (F) using Norton Ghost. So far no problem.

Now say my OS, which is on (C) crashes how can I get access to my Ghost files on (F) in order that I can rebuild partitions (C) and (E)?

I think that I must put the ghost files on CDRW!!

Is there any software that would allow me to access the firewire drive from a DOS boot?

2. I think all you have to do is to create a ghost bootdisk so when you put in the floppy disk on bootup, the computer will start a DOS version of Ghost. Choose what you want to do from the menu that is on screen and then select the partition on where your Ghost backup is on then vila!
  3. eNuffSaid

eNuffSaid Guest

If your partitions are are FAT (highly unlikely) or FAT32 you can create a DOS Bootflop and load Ghost from there. If they are NTFS, you will need bootflops that can access NTFS drives.

You could try using Bart's PE Builder ( to boot from CD and use Ghost32 if it's available for you.

You could also take a look at Sysinternals' NTFSDos. ( The read-only version is free! It might be just enough to access your ghost image.

Also remember that if you boot from a DOS floppy you probably don't have your Firewire drivers loaded, so you won't be able to access your external (fire-wire) drive.

Good luck!
    Willem Moolenaar
  4. DJC

DJC Guest

Many thnaks i will investigate further using all the advice.

5. DJC

DJC Guest

Hi eNuffSaid

I have looked at the first link and downloaded the program. I will try to understand the program well enough to see if it will help me.

The second link to Sysinternal,(http://,
    is broken, or at lest, will not work at present.
  6. eNuffSaid

eNuffSaid Guest

Sorry, my bad! The link had a double "http://" in it. I believe its fixed now. Else go to
    Under Windows 95/98/ME click on Utilities
    Select the NTFSProfessional v4.0 free download (NTFS Read only).

Hope that helps.
    Kind regards,
    Willem Moolenaar
  7. DJC

DJC Guest

Many thanks for the repaired link.

It worked atreat

enough said!