Clone XP installation onto seperate disk

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by ray_gillespie, Mar 1, 2007.

1. ray_gillespie

ray_gillespie Moderator Staff Member Political User

I currently have 1 SATA HD with XP Pro SP2 on it. I might be getting a copy of Vista soon, and if I do I would like to completely clone my current installation of XP onto an older PATA HD so I will be free to install VIsta on my newer and faster SATA disk. I want to keep both OSs for a while in case Vista has significant problems with anything I use at the moment.

Is there any software, preferably free, that will allow me to completely copy the contents and OS of one disk to another?

Reps for help.

EDIT: Can anyone correct the spelling in the thread title? It should be spelt 'separate'!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
  2. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

Tools like Norton's Ghost Acronis True Image will let you do it, don't know of any free apps though.

ray_gillespie likes this.
  3. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Ghost and True Image are two popular choices. I've used True Image on a number of occasions, and it works as advertised. :)

DriveImage XML is a free alternative that I've come across but never had a chance to try yet, so I'm not sure how well it works. GetDataBack, a data recovery tool from the same company, has worked very well in my experience though, so DIXML might be just as good.
    http://www.runtime.org/dixml.htm

4. ray_gillespie

Great, thanks for the help. I've actually got a version of Acronis that was free thanks to a tip by NetRyder! I've just dug it out and installed it, I'll see how it goes from there.

Thanks again guys!

5. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

Nice save Ray, glad it worked out for you. :)

6. Maroon

Maroon OSNN Junior Addict

true image and norton ghost are imaging backup progs, i mean it's worth to use them if you need to make backup of your computer, and if you need only to clone the old drive tot a new one, you can use another prog, for example migrate easy, it can easily do what you need and it has a 15 day full working trial version.

7. ray_gillespie

I don't think that has anything I need that True Image doesn't but thanks for pointing it out.

8. Tweakfiend

Tweakfiend OSNN Senior Addict