Clearing Page Files on Shutdown?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by tomsxp1, Sep 21, 2002.

1. tomsxp1

tomsxp1 Guest

Hello, Everyone: Can someone please tell me what the "Page Files are? also how i can access them? Tom

2. 2z

2z OSNN Gamer

1. its like a backup for your RAM
    2. you can access the pagefile settings in
    my computer properties / advanced / performance / settings / advanced / virtual memory

Loads of info covering this subject

click me

:cool:

3. tomsxp1

tomsxp1 Guest

Thank You for the reply and I will check out the website you gave me too, right now! I already did the registry tweak for Clearing the Page File at Shutdown, and Shutdown is a little slower Not much but it might be worth it! Tom

4. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

it's definately not worth it

the hack just overwrites the pf one time with zeros...this does absolutely nothing...oh, I'm sorry, it slows you down, that's something

anyone that can gain access to your pf, and read or copy it, will surely be able to image a simple overwrite of zeros.

in order for you to have security, a file needs to be overwritten fully 9 times, with random information...less then that...nothing is much usefull

5. tomsxp1

tomsxp1 Guest

Man, I am I glad i posted, I can see now what you Guys are talking about, I (not being real experienced) automatically took this Registry tweak as helpful but i can see it is pointless and i will change back to Default now! Thank You fellows for the lesson. its really appreciated, Tom