cleaning the registry

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by seperatist, Aug 9, 2003.

1. seperatist

seperatist OSNN Senior Addict

i know next to nothing about the registry but what i do know is that after i uninstall programs they tend to leave stuff behind that i no longer need. is there a program that cleans the registry out properly that requires little input from me? i tried a program before (can't remember what it was) and it crashed my comp and i had to reinstall XP. i want to avoid this. i am not a computer moron, just a registry moron.

thanks

2. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

try regcleanr.exe (yes the e should be missing).

It is not a super duper clairvoyant program. All it does is list all the programs in your registry. If you see something you know you deleted select and delete it. It won't get everything but its a good start and has made reinstalls workable for me when they were being tempermental.

Also, if you uninstall a program afterwards go and delete the directory it was in. They like to leave "useful" stuff behind in case you change your mind and want to reinstall..

3. seperatist

seperatist OSNN Senior Addict

where can i find that program? i used yahoo to no avail.

4. napalmnthemorning

napalmnthemorning Moderator

5. RazerBack

RazerBack The First Rebirth

Your using the wrong search engine.
    Most of us here, use Google.

6. jumpy

jumpy Guest

use jv's reg cleaner. somethin like www.jv16.org or somethings.

7. jumpy

jumpy Guest

use jv's reg cleaner. somethin like www.jv16.org or somethings. awww, post one msg every 30secs, that sucks.
    /me waits...