-Clarkconnect 2.0-

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by indyjones, Aug 27, 2003.

1. indyjones

indyjones OSNN.net Adventurer

Hi
    I am setting a server up for a small student house network. The specs of my system are

P233mmx
    128meg of ram
    and 1gig (hopefull changing soon) hdd

Zedric has recommended clarkconnect time and time agin so i have just got the the iso for version 2 home edition. is there any querks? or good practices that i should be aware of when configuring it? many thanks

:)

2. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

I donno what you want that server to do, but it ain't gonna be much.

3. indyjones

It does not need to do much after upgrading the hdd it will be used as.

A first level firewall
    internet router
    FTP server
    filesharing

all which clarkconnect does, so seems simpler than configuring a whole linux installation. Also clark connect support remote configuring which i want as i dont have a spare keyboard mouse monitor...

4. lechtard

lechtard Guest

This is a linux based set up - I know people who have it and they say that it can be a pain to set up .. you would probably be better off getting a router and printserver, and use the firewall that is in the router - Linsys are vey good systems. Or what you could do is set up the network dhcp style.

5. indyjones

From what i have seen on the website it seems quite easy to, use. and also its fully remote configurable using a web browser :)

Also its FREE :D

6. lechtard

lechtard Guest

The home edition is yes - but the others start at 125.00 ... I do like how you can install it and run everything remotely from any browser on any computer .. that is a nice feature, I am seriously thinking about trying it myself - But either way though, when you have it you will need a switch or hub and two nic cards on the main server .. good luck ..

7. indyjones

Already got a 100base switch and there are two 3comm nics in the server cheers lechtard. I will let you know my opions of it if you want :)

8. lechtard

lechtard Guest

Sounds good .. Thanx

9. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

As I usually say, it's easy as pie to install and very simple to set up. Very noob friendly.

I went with standard settings, only blocking outgoing traffic on 135-139 (NetBIOS) and allowing incomming traffic I want (80: webserver, 21: FTP server and so on).

Good luck. :)

10. lechtard

lechtard Guest

Thanx for the info - Now what about setting up passive ranges for the ftp ??

11. Zedric

You just pick a range (I picked 1501-1600), forward them to the server and then tell the server to use that range.

12. lechtard

lechtard Guest

hmm ... o.k - I'll have to try it, the range you stated is still to low, way to low ...

13. Zedric

Too low? Anything above 1024 is pretty much free, and that range allows for 100 connections at the same time. But you could always take a higher range. Say 15000-15100?

14. lechtard

lechtard Guest

Safe Passive Range is 50,000 up ... The ISP port scopes in the range you mentioned ...

15. Zedric

You mean they scan ports up to 50k?
    1. I think not, at least not mine. I'd notice a port scan.
    2. So? All they'll see are open ports. It could be anything.

And if you mean that they block ports, then that's pretty rare too.

16. lechtard

lechtard Guest

They don't port scan up to 50,000 - that is just the safe range .. It is also affective when you get other people port scanning you, it would take to long for them to go up to that high .. it's just a safety precausion,, I always use passive range and never use port 21 ..