Cheapest Vista Home Premium (Academic) - UK

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by ray_gillespie, Feb 7, 2007.

1. ray_gillespie

ray_gillespie Moderator Staff Member Political User

For anyone considering buying Vista in the UK, this is about the cheapest version I've found.

It's the academic version, but providing someone you know is in education I don't see any reason why you can't buy it 'as a present for them' :)

I'm tempted by this myself. Especially considering this method of clean installing an upgrade edition.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2007
  2. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

You DO realise that you have to install it twice just to get a clean install, right?

3. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

But only have to activate once.
    Installation takes 20 mins?

Also I am not even sure how much of the installation needs to be complete before the upgrade check will recognise a legitimate version.

4. ray_gillespie

Yeah but if that saves me £15 and I get the added bonus of being able to reinstall this when I get a new PC, I might as well put up that 30 mins of extra inconvenience :)

5. ray_gillespie

6. Luna

Luna OSNN Senior Addict Folding Team

I got the Home Premium 'Academic' version from my University for 80$. It was the upgrade, not the full version, but I did not have to intall it twice to get a clean install.

I just put in the disk and I was able to format the drive and perform a Full / Clean install of Vista Home Preimium.

7. ray_gillespie

I think you only need to install twice when you don't have an OS on the disc to wipe. Which probably isn't that often!