character recognition

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Perris Calderon, Jan 30, 2003.

1. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

I have to incorporate character recognition to my scanner.

do I need a new scanner, or is there a program?

2. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

Character Recognition is mainly software based though a scanner capable of reasonably high resolutions makes the process better.

Good OCR software is OmniPage, ReadIRIS and other things like that.

3. Perris Calderon

thanx geffy

now, is it worth it to get the software, or is the whole hardware package a better idea?

THESE SOFTWARE PACKAGES COST MORE THEN THE WHOLE HARDWARE PACKAGE.

are there any programs with a trial?

I don't even know if these programs are sophisticated enough for what I need...(turning printed and written text to characters)

4. Herkalees

Herkalees Guest

I know very little about scanners and the like, but I bought a scanner like 3 years ago, an inexpensive HP for about $170 - $200, and it came with an OCR program. I remember using it and being shocked as to how well it worked.

I have since sold my scanner so I have no names to provide, but I am surprised it is as expensive as you mention...

5. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

well if the scanner package with OCR software is included is cheaper than getting the OCR software then get the new scanner

6. baser5nature

baser5nature OSNN Addict

i have used OmnipagePro v12 several times and it is great... some of the earlier releases worked well, but were difficult to navigate and configure.

I have only used it for typed text though... not written... but the good part is you can teach it to recognize any shape as a certain character... you could have it interpret a solid square to be a letter x if you want. With that in mind i think it wouldn't be too long before you had it recognizing your own hand writing...

i'm a student so i've always managed to find "lo" cost alternatives to locating expensive software packages... i'm sure you know how to do that aswell...

7. Bob S

Bob S Guest

Go to Scansoft.com and see what they offer. Some of their stuff is bundled into Visioneer scanners that are pretty low cost and I have found to be reliable. I think I have owned about 5 or 6 Visioneer scanners over the last ten years.

I use scanners to keep all of my filed documentation "paperless".

8. zalood

zalood OSNN Addict

I also use Paperport from Scansoft, it is a scanned document management program. OCR is included, output can be in Words doc file, txt file and even Excel file. It also has form filler feature.
    Must have for scanner users.

9. Perris Calderon

great help guys...thanx for the imput