Changing start location for searching

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Mainframeguy, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

Not sure if this is a tweak - but I think it is.... also may overlap with something like W2K style search, but it is such a small thing yet quite irritating so I am sure someone has worked it out....

When you open a search box the default start for your search is always set to start menu, which is not usually what you require. Is there a way to set the default to something like C: - which is probably far more typical for disorganised people like me :rolleyes:

2. sputnik365

sputnik365 OSNN One Post Wonder

3. Mainframeguy

why thank you kindly for making your first post a bump at least for a question I asked almost a whole year ago! Your thoughtfulness is very much appreciated - unfortunately the link you give simply refers to a change that would be no different to making a shortcut to explore the C: drive - what I am after is adapting the start location for SEARCH (F3 should bring it up if you are not with me)....

Anyway maybe this bump will bring up an answer - and thanks again for trying!

4. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

5. i think in XP you search starts whichever folder you're in as default

6. Mainframeguy

yeah you are right there fishboy - and that makes sense EVERY time EXCEPT when you pull up the search from the START MENU... yeah? I mean I can see the purity of the design, or the slopiness of the programming, depending how you look at this - they should n't maybe have put it on the start menu? Then again I can imagine systems where folks have let their start menu proliferate in such an uncontrolled and disorganised way they actually need to search from there.....

WEIRD! I am now playing around with search and it is NOT starting from the START MENU!!! yet I have not made any regisrty edits or anything much else, apart from play about with a few searches.... as well - obviously XP has decided to read my mind and act as I wish here, or I just forgot something I changed..... I know others are familiar with the scenario I described though... where the SEARCH window comes up with a location you have no intention of searching in and you have to adjust accordingly....