changing registration

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by wastingnick, Jan 12, 2002.

1. wastingnick

wastingnick Guest

Is there a way i can change who windows is currently registered to?

2. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

Get a copy of Customizer XP. You can use it to change owner Information. See the attachment of where it's done in the program:

3. suprfli

suprfli Guest

i think he wants to enter a new registration key and not change the name. i know it can be done but forget where and how you enter it.

4. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

5. wastingnick

wastingnick Guest

he was right with customizer xp. but now i still have
    c:\documents and settings\____ ____(my full name)\
    is there any way i can change that?

6. Druce

Druce Guest

well... you can delete your account and it will ask if you want to delete all your files and folders... but i don't think you want to do that do you? hrmm, i think i need more coffee... i have a book here, perhaps i will look and see if i can find anything... yes...

7. wastingnick

wastingnick Guest

can you look please?:D :D :D :D

8. Druce

Druce Guest

what version are you using Home or Prof? and is it legally activated thru M$?

9. Druce

Druce Guest

ooh, nuther thought :p

um, dunno if it will work, but what the hell

go to my documents - tools - folder options - view - and scroll all the way to the bottom and uncheck simple file sharing and hit okay

log in as admin - log out of current user - at welcome screen hit ctrl-alt-del twice and log in as admin then go to the c drive - docu and settings and rename the folders

if that doesn't work then:

then go to the c drive - docu and settings - right click folder to be renamed - properties - security tab - advanced - owner tab - select user who you are logged in as - check replace owner on subcontainers and objects and hit apply - then rename the folders

if thats not working than i really don't know...

hope this helps

10. Druce

Druce Guest

another thought-

make a new account, and make it part of the admin grop, then copy all the files from old account to the new one and then delete the old account...