changing drive icons in XP

I definitely like Microangelo or Icon Packager. They're both simple to use without too many bugs.

Microangelo seems a bit more stable, but that's just me.

This tweak allows you to change the name and icon shown in Explorer for a specific drive letter.

In order to change individual drive icons follow these instructions:
Open your registry and find the key below. If the key does not already exist then create it.

System Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons]
Name: Default
Type: REG_SZ (String Value)

Within the main key above create a new sub-key with a single letter representing the drive letter of the drive to be modified. (e.g. [HKEY...\DriveIcons\D])

Within the drive letter key create another sub-key called "DefaultIcon" (e.g. [HKEY...\DriveIcons\D\DefaultIcon]) and set the "(Default)" value to equal the fully qualified name of the icon file. If the file contains more that one icon follow it with a comma and the zero-based index of the icon (e.g. "c:\icons\myicons.dll,4").

Create another sub-key within the drive letter key called "DefaultLabel" (e.g. [HKEY...\DriveIcons\D\DefaultLabel]) and set it's "(Default)" value to equal the label for the drive letter (e.g. "My ZIP Drive").

You may need to restart Windows for the change to take effect, or press F5 to refresh My Computer.
I hope this helps.

You can also do what Gravis posted above in X-Setup, for those of you who don't like to mess with the registry directly. (is there actually anyone like that?) :)

In case your version of X-Setup doesn't have the right plugin for this (its usually located in Appearance>Explorer>Drives), I wrote this very plugin for the drives on my laptop (C-G), so I'll provide it here in case you need it. Enjoy! :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back