cdrw drive problem

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by npfanz, May 12, 2002.

1. npfanz

npfanz Guest

I have a plextor 10/24/40A cdrw drive, and I just applied the latest firmware upgrade. Now that I have done so if I put a cd in the drive and try to read it windows explorer crashes. I haven't yet tried to burn a cd in it (I'm too afraid to). Since I upgraded the firmware that just means I'm screwed, right? There is no way to undo that, is there? I emailed their tech support and have yet to hear back from them. I don't hold out much hope because, despite the fact that the firmware upgrade was supposed to fix a whole host of bugs, it specified that "plextor is not responsible for any damage, etc." How can they not be responsible? There were some issues that needed to be fixed, and their fix wrecked my drive. Any ideas?
  2. Skwowwy

Skwowwy Guest

Firmwares can't be removed, unless you detach the CD-RW, remove all drivers, and attach it again. XP will install its own drivers again.

Or at least, I think that'll work. I may be wrong, though. *isn't a real XP expert like others* XD
  3. orcas

orcas Guest

AFAIK, detaching cdr drive, removing drivers, and attaching again has nothing to do with the firmware...the firmware if permanently saved in any kind of EPROM and will only change if you flash another firmware over have to get the old firmware and flash it again...

4. npfanz

npfanz Guest

Yeah I thought I would have to find the old firmware. But as kind of a take off of Skwowwy's suggestion, I just decided to uninstall the hardware through device manager. It was completely on a whim, but it seems to have worked!? I opened device manager, uninstalled the cdrw drive, then restarted. After the restart, it seems to work. But I was never notified that it was reinstalled or anything. Seems very strange but as long as it works I'm happy. Thanks for the advice, guys, I really appreciate the quick replys. This was driving me insane all morning!!!!!!!!

5. Skwowwy

Skwowwy Guest

That was weird. :p Well, I'm glad you got it sorted out. :)
  6. Gouk

Gouk Guest

I'm glad you got your problem sorted too :)