cdroms

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by acky, May 31, 2003.

1. acky

acky Guest

I know not what I did but my pc now will not play audio cds & wifes sims. DVDs will play, normal cdroms play ok. win media player comes up with error code 0xc00D1197. Ta for any help. Win xp home. pent 4 2gig. 512k mem. dvd cd.:(

2. Bootsy

Bootsy Huh?

have you installed anything recently?

3. acky

acky Guest

interactual dvd player is about all I can think of, Im not sure if there is a problem with mci

4. Bootsy

Bootsy Huh?

hmmm,...you could try uninstalling it and trying to run an audio or sims cd.

5. acky

acky Guest

no joy im affraid, autoroute 2000 will not load either, says the disk is not in correctly. it will install it but not run it also can burn from cds but not play them.

6. Bootsy

Bootsy Huh?

try 2 things now:
    1. Go in thru safe mode (hitting F8 repedetely as windows loads) and see if it works then..

2. uninstall the cd rom from the system properties window and then rebooting so it gets installed again.

how old is the drive? it could just be fuXXored i'm afraid.

7. acky

acky Guest

still no joy in safe mode or after uninstall/install, it is both the cdrw drive & the dvd drive not working right (is there something common to both as they both are acting the same), they are both 1 year old

8. Bootsy

Bootsy Huh?

hmm maybe if they are set to "cable select"...that sometimes results in bad things happening. You should have them set as master/slave

9. acky

acky Guest

not set to cable select

10. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

if both drives are on the same channel, try a different cable! might be that simple. :confused:

11. jonifen

jonifen pffff...

could be a case of having DMA enabled? I remember this problem coming around on Win98/ME because of DMA being enabled... I realise it would be annoying for it to run as PIO, but might be worth a try? The DVD software may have enabled it during installation?

12. RogerPhillis

RogerPhillis Guest

Just a thought ,perhaps you might look at your Mobo drivers which include IDE drivers etc.
    Reinstalling them can help similar problems.

13. acky

acky Guest

First, thanks for trying to help me people, but tried all of the above to no effect. I dont know what else I can tell you so you can help me, it will burn & play mp3s ok. Thanks again.........

14. cabmustang

cabmustang Guest

have you installed SP1? if you have try uninstalling it, i had problems like this when i installed it.