CD rom issues

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by loque, Jan 30, 2003.

1. loque

loque Guest

Hey everyone,
    I was wondering if anyone else had a similar problem. When I installed a new CD-RW drive, I get problems with it recognizing discs everytime and problems with autoplay, etc etc.
    It seems to work selectively. Now I should also note that one such drive, a 32X was in Comp A with no problems. Worked great. Bought a new 52X drive and took the 32X out and installed it in Comp B. Now the 32X wont read all discs, and the 52X is trouble as well. Mostly the same symptoms.

Not too sure what it could be. Both are brand name drives, not cheapies.

Any help is appreciated.
  2. XeoNoX

XeoNoX OSNN Senior Addict

i had a similar problem one time, i just did a clean install and it fixed it.

I bet your CD rom reads the CD's fine in DOS right? If they do, just do a clean install.

Let me know what happens
  3. loque

loque Guest

I uninstalled it and restarted, and I also changed the DMA to type 1. So far so good....seems to be reading the cds perfectly. One thing I noticed is that the drive now appears as a CD RW drive instead of just a CDROM drive.

Thanks again, I'll keep you posted if S**t gets ugly
  4. loque

loque Guest

ok it just got ugly, lol.

well at first it seemed to be working but now it is giving me the same trouble. It just doesnt want to read cds. AND it is coming up as a CDROM drive in the explorer again... just ike that. One second it weill be a CDRW tehn it will change into a CDROM. Makes me think it is now a windows problem.

5. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Melbourne Australia
    See if anything here helps.