CD Drive Name Change

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by silky62678, May 30, 2003.

1. silky62678

silky62678 Guest

Is there a way or a program that is able to change the name of the cd-rom drive? Im not talking about able to letter of the drive but the name of the drive. I have 2 drives one does say cd-rw drive and the other is a dvd drive but it doesnt say dvd drive. I would like that one to say dvd drive r something like that

2. dick471

dick471 OSNN Junior Addict

Labeling CD-Roms

NO! The label for these drives is not established until a CD is installed. All CD's carry a label or a number.

3. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

i think he means when tehre is no cd in the drive. instead of saying "DVD Drive", it's saying "CD Drive".

4. silky62678

silky62678 Guest

Yeah, when there is not a cd inthe drive. I would like it to say DVD Drive, instead of CD Drive

5. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

If it is a DVD drive it should say DVD drive... Check my screenshot for instance (attached). The first is a DVD/CD-RW drive, like it says. The four others are Daemon Tools drives (emulated).

6. Eck

Eck .user

My DVD drive says DVD Drive, but my CD-RW drive says CD Drive. I've looked for ways to change it but haven't been successful. Oh well.

7. silky62678

silky62678 Guest

Hmm, interesting, my dvd drive doesnt say dvd, it just say cd drive. Im going to check if there any firmware for it

8. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

i'm pretty sure i've seen dvd drives labelled as "CD Drive" in xp before. it doesn't affect it's dvd capabilities... xp just has an odd way of figuring out how to label them. sometimes it's right and sometimes not.

though i have no idea how to change the label.