cd burner dissapearing

C

cabmustang

my cd burner is constantly dissapearing in explorer and in order to use it i have to go to device manager and search for new hardware. does windows xp hide inactive slave drives. and if so is there a way of disabling this feature? thanks for any help in advance.

cabmustang

cabmustang, may i ask what brand computer it is? is it like a Sony, Dell, HP, etc...? or did you make it yourself?

I'd try replacing the IDE cable. If you still get the problem, try another CD-ROM.

I have the same problem with one of my computers and it has a ECS K7S5A MB and new cables (Which I changed to no avail). Not sure why it happens and a bios update didn't help any. Still looking for the cause :(

A peice of hardware can vanish if it doesn't get found when windows loads. But if it's because of an intermittent problem (bad ide cable bad ide port, bad drive, loose power cable) whenever the intermittent heals itself the next boot you should see the device drivers being loaded again...

1). Make sure your bios is set to auto detect all your drives. And if your machine is slow enough, make sure it shows the CD was detected during boot. The screen zips by too fast on XP1500 or faster machines.

2). Check to make sure the bios is set up to automatically detect plug and play devices. This will help if it is an intermittent problem. At least you will reload it automatically.

LeeJend, this is not a problem with the device not being found at boot up. They are talking about the device working fine one minute and being gone the next.

I had this problem along time ago. I never did find a fix. other than my drive dieing and when I got a new one it didnt happen anymore. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back