cd burner dissapearing

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by cabmustang, Mar 17, 2003.

1. cabmustang

cabmustang Guest

my cd burner is constantly dissapearing in explorer and in order to use it i have to go to device manager and search for new hardware. does windows xp hide inactive slave drives. and if so is there a way of disabling this feature? thanks for any help in advance.

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Melbourne Australia
    Something is wrong with your system. Don't know what though.
  3. cabmustang

cabmustang Guest

but everything works fine. including the burner.
  4. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon The One and Only

Lehighton, PA
    cabmustang, may i ask what brand computer it is? is it like a Sony, Dell, HP, etc...? or did you make it yourself?
  5. cabmustang

cabmustang Guest

built it myself
  6. Eck

Eck .user

United States
    I'd try replacing the IDE cable. If you still get the problem, try another CD-ROM.
  7. PC-Dude

PC-Dude Guest

I have the same problem with one of my computers and it has a ECS K7S5A MB and new cables (Which I changed to no avail). Not sure why it happens and a bios update didn't help any. Still looking for the cause :(
  8. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Fort Worth, TX
    A peice of hardware can vanish if it doesn't get found when windows loads. But if it's because of an intermittent problem (bad ide cable bad ide port, bad drive, loose power cable) whenever the intermittent heals itself the next boot you should see the device drivers being loaded again...

1). Make sure your bios is set to auto detect all your drives. And if your machine is slow enough, make sure it shows the CD was detected during boot. The screen zips by too fast on XP1500 or faster machines.

2). Check to make sure the bios is set up to automatically detect plug and play devices. This will help if it is an intermittent problem. At least you will reload it automatically.
  9. rettahc

rettahc Guest

LeeJend, this is not a problem with the device not being found at boot up. They are talking about the device working fine one minute and being gone the next.

I had this problem along time ago. I never did find a fix. other than my drive dieing and when I got a new one it didnt happen anymore. Sorry I can't be of more help.