CCNA question - third attempt to post

Discussion in 'Green Room' started by Son Goku, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Son Goku

Son Goku No lover of dogma

I guess this is the best place to ask. There's a networking hardware forum, but not general networking...

I just finished Cisco 4, as well as network troubleshooting (had finals last week, at the college I'm taking it, though the other college has finals in several weeks). I passed (many of the tests are online, so the grade is online and stuff also. I also got a 94% on the voucher exam, which is good for $75 off the CCNA test, the first time taking the exam.

The only thing, with some of the stuff we covered in Cisco 4, we weren't able to do any labs, as we don't have frame relay switches and the like, or an ISDN BRI or PRI account which students can use, to set the thing up... We of course did lecture on the material however...

If anyone else has taken the CCNA, about how much more preperation should one consider before taking the test? Anything else one should study ahead of time? Or would I be ready now?

Edit: The problem with creating threads seems solved for now

2. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

No need to keep tabs on the attempt no, :p

3. Son Goku

Son Goku No lover of dogma

Oh, rofl, umm...actually I tried more like 30 times (well, OK 10-15 might have been more accurate)... Lets just say that in attempting, I tried making slight modifications to the thread, among several other combinations. I last had the thing set to preview post, and tried submission from there after I heard it was corrected :D

4. mlakrid

mlakrid OSNN BASSMASTER Political User Folding Team

/BUMP

Hey Son Gosu, I was asked (yet again) if I finished my CCNA. When I did a search I found this thread. So, did you ever get it? And if so, what study materials or web sites did you use?

Thanks,

Mike A!

5. Steevo

Steevo Spammer representing. Political User Folding Team

I got a Cisco ISDN router upstairs and two frame relay switches.

Used to have a hughes earthstation for mainframe communication, and the framerelay between our two locations. I have been meaning to take them home as i have *cough* the Cisco library for networking. I believe it includes all the emulated devices.

I was gonna use the ISDN router as a comm port between the coaxial on a old server i have and my home netwok as it only has two PCI ports and the onboard RJ-45 doesn't work.

6. mlakrid

Not to sound ungrateful, but HOW exactly is this gonna help me?

Thanks,

Mike A!

7. Steevo

What all are you going to practice on?

As i said, laying around somewhere I have (I was told) the complete collection of Cisco educational software with all associated emulated devices. In flash, if I remember correctly.

I will have to look when I get home though.

8. mlakrid

Is it small enough to FTP, is that what you're telling me?

heh

Mike A!

9. Steevo

¿MSN? 1 CD-ROM!

*cough*

10. Steevo

Anyone know a default password for a Cisco 2500 series router. I have not the cabling here to reset it and don't want to drive back to work tonight. :p

11. fimchick

fimchick OSNN Senior Addict

12. fitz

fitz Just Floating Along Staff Member Political User Folding Team

hmm.. i think most of the time the user/pass is cisco/cisco for most cisco switches/routers..

edit: *doh* got beat.. on the reply..

13. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

His reply was 9 minutes ahead of you, someone needs to refresh more often :nervous:

14. Steevo

cisco didn't work.

I will have to get a DB-9 and DB-25 adapter from work or a db-9, RJ-45 adapter. I believe we have both. So no go for tonight.

15. fitz

darn right i do.. that's what happens when I load a page and then my kids jump over me - takes me away from the keyboard for a little bit..

16. fitz

if this is right out of the box configuration with nothing done to it, you'll probably need the console cable since I don't think they allow remote access out in the out of the box configuration.

17. Steevo

If remote is more than 3' away then yes..... they don't :D

It isn't a out of the box thing. It was a left over from us moving away from a earthstation. I need it to interface with a server I have here at home so I don't tie up one of the PCI slots.

18. vern

vern Dominus Political User Folding Team

The course doesn't really help when it comes to the test. There are short study courses around here that just prepare you just for the test. It's basically a two week cram course that focuses on the Cisco test and what might come up since if you try to remember everything in the course itself, you'll either fail or lose your sanity. Also, if you can, perhaps you can rent hardware from the school or institution so you can play with it at home. Thats what I did when I took it.

19. mlakrid

I dont need to rent hardware I have 3 x 2300 series routers and a 1910 10MB switch.
    So I have about everything I need for the hardware, I was more looking for braindump questions, that type of thing.

Mike A!

:D

20. mlakrid

Like Fimchick said, password, reset, and I know this works I have done it 3 times here at work for routers which came back from overseas and the password list gievn didnt work. I did a search speciffically for the 2500 series.. not that it matters

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/474/pswdrec_2500.html