Ccleaner 2.0 Beta Now Available

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by kcnychief, Aug 17, 2007.

1. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

Just saw this from a post over at Cybernet

More info & Download: http://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner-20

2. Bman

Bman OSNN Veteran Original

Awesome, I love CCleaner, when is 2.0 out of beta and finished?

3. kcnychief

Whenever they are comfortable with the software :)

4. ScottFern

ScottFern IT guy

Is this software something that should be used on a server?

5. Bman

haha, funny

will this install over my version of CCleaner right now?

6. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

No, I would not recommend it for use on a production server.

7. gonaads

gonaads Beware the G-Man Political User Folding Team

Yes it would. But you're feeling lucky, soooooo... :rolleyes:

8. Bman

you scare me sometimes ya know lol

9. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Ok, I'm feeling stupid tonight.

Installed the Beta on my thumb drive and am analyzing and cleaning now.

Wish me luck. I'll report back, if I can...

Update 1-
    Cleaned ok. Didint' tag anything crititcal. Registry scanning now.

Update 2-
    Ran a registry clean and no problems came up. Rebooted and everything still works. It looks safe.

I had one issue with a flickering cursor and unending disk access, but I'm pretty sure it was my U3 thumb drive, not Ccleaner. I installed on a regular thumb drive and there were no anomalies.

Enjoy.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2007
  10. epk

epk Moderator Political User Folding Team

good to see they're making a big update.. ccleaner is pretty neat =)

11. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

I love this program. Thanx for the info :)

12. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

I have to warn everyone about the aleged registry cleaners

sometimes there are registry entries that look like they go nowhere but that's because the program or hardware isn't running or installed

when a program becomes corrupt or doesn't do something you might expect it to do you won't even know it was a registry entry that was deleted

I have no problem cleaning files but I really think registry cleaners should be left unused in programs like this and even in best case scenarion where it's removing wasted entries there isn't any performance benefit

13. kcnychief

I have to agree - never really noticed a benefit either way wrt registry cleaners.

Not counting keys/values for spyware/virii that is.

14. Bman

I have been using CCleaner for about 6 months now, and now with 2.0.

I haven't had any problems with it, and I guess no real notice in performance or change in the running of my system. I guess its more of a feeling for me, that my system is as clean and organized as it can get.

15. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

This program only cleans the registry of tmp short cut traces and uninstalled programs. It doesn't go threw like a deep reg cleaner and delete everything it feels is not good. I do agree that you should be careful with reg cleaner that are deep cleaner, but crap cleaner reg cleaner is a soft cleaner. I use it all the time and never had a problem with it. If you feel it is not affective, or does something it shouldn't have; you can always save the clean out incase you have to put it back in again.

Perris Calderon likes this.
  16. tdinc

tdinc █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User

I agree with Johnny, the reg cleaner engine is very safe with CCleaner. I have tested the beta and it is a super piece of software. Awesome

17. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

safe but pointless. what was hard in understanding that?

Oh and don't clean out old prefetch files either. that will slow things down for you.

18. Tarun

Tarun www.lunarsoft.net

Registry cleaning has one benefit, and that is to clean up/fix the leftovers from incomplete/problematic uninstallers. Aside from that, there is no reason to bother the registry.

"A few hundred kilobytes of unused keys and values causes no noticeable performance impact on system operation. Even if the registry was massively bloated there would be little impact on the performance of anything other than exhaustive searches."

"Registry Cleaners can fix problems associated with traces of applications left behind due to incomplete uninstalls. So it seems that Registry junk is a Windows fact of life and that Registry cleaners will continue to have a place in the ****-sysadmin's tool chest, at least until we're all running .NET applications that store their per-user settings in XML files - and then of course we'll need XML cleaners."

Source: Registry Junk: A Windows Fact of Life

----

As LordOfLA has said, don't clean out the Prefetch. Leave it alone.

As documented in my PC Maintenance page about CCleaner:

The following items should not be checked.

• “Memory Dumps”
    • “Hotfix Uninstallers”
    • “Old Prefetch Data”

The Memory Dumps cleaning option will remove any memory dumps that are generated when a program crashes on your computer. Many technicians can use these memory dumps to tell you exactly what caused the crash. These memory dumps are also sent to a crash analysis center at Microsoft when you use the Error Reporting feature. Reporting these errors and sending the crash dumps help all users because hotfixes are often issued to fix the very problem that made the program crash.

The Hotfix Uninstallers cleaning option will remove every hotfix uninstaller. This is a bad option for CCleaner to have. If you have this option checked and you remove your hotfix uninstallers, should you ever have an issue with an update (hotfix) from Microsoft, you would not be able to uninstall the problematic hotfix. This could potentially result in your system being crippled.

The Old Prefetch Data cleaning option will decrease your system performance. The impact that cleaning/deleting the prefetch data has on your system is well documented by technicians and Microsoft staff. Prefetch is designed to allow your applications to load faster.

Unchecking the above options will ensure your computer remains in proper working order and have better performance.

19. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

Memory dumps in my experiance are not as helpful as the stop messages themselves. Error reporting creates it's own dumps if it needs one to send.

You really shouldn't be uninstalling hotfixes period.

20. gonaads

gonaads Beware the G-Man Political User Folding Team

Well if you have a prob with a hotfix and you happen to use the hotfix uninstallers cleaning thing you could reinstall the hotfix and then uninstall it. But if a hotfix were to be buggy (yes some are, so yes you really should uninstall a hotfix, if need be), it would be buggy right away. Not days down the line. Then ya just uninstall it and done. Plus do use Ccleaner every day for that to be an issue?