Case sensitive smilies

Discussion in 'Site Problems & Feedback' started by Tabula Rasa, Nov 15, 2003.

1. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Stranger Than Kindness Political User

Been bothering me for a while, why the hell some of the smilies are case sensitive?

Example:

:p
    :p

[Edit] My English is VEAAAAARY good [/Edit]

2. Jewelzz

Jewelzz OSNN Godlike Veteran

To annoy you :p

3. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Because there isn't a none-case sensitive text replacement function integrated into PHP yet, it's being added into PHP 5. So when PHP 5 is released and the vBulletin team have completely re-written their board to adapt this, then we can have none-case sensitive smilies.

Of course we could fix it temporarily for now with one of two ways.
    1) replace the smiley function with our own function which disregards case (Code is easy enough, integrating it into vB may be awkward)
    2) Adding smiles for both cases, therefore having two sets of smilies (text) for every image.. or at least the ones that use letters. :)

4. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Stranger Than Kindness Political User

/Adds Jewelzz to the black list (again, for the 1335th time) :p

5. MdSalih

MdSalih The Boss

Simple fix would be to introduce a strtolower() - but we're to lazy to do that... :p

MdSalih

6. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Wouldn't that just make posts all lower case, removing the ability to SHOUT LIKE A FREAK when you feel like it? Or am I thinking of using the function out of context? :)

7. MdSalih

MdSalih The Boss

nup - we set smilies originally to be in upper case and simply use the strtolower() function to make the smilies lower case and run searches for both instances (upper and lower) through the post text.

Many other ways to do it.. thats just one that I thought would be fairly straight forward - bound to be a much easier function which is designed for such a problem... simply a matter of hunting it out.

MdSalih