Case sensitive smilies

Tabula Rasa

Stranger Than Kindness
Political Access
Been bothering me for a while, why the hell some of the smilies are case sensitive?

Example:

:p
:p

[Edit] My English is VEAAAAARY good [/Edit]

Because there isn't a none-case sensitive text replacement function integrated into PHP yet, it's being added into PHP 5. So when PHP 5 is released and the vBulletin team have completely re-written their board to adapt this, then we can have none-case sensitive smilies.

Of course we could fix it temporarily for now with one of two ways.
1) replace the smiley function with our own function which disregards case (Code is easy enough, integrating it into vB may be awkward)
2) Adding smiles for both cases, therefore having two sets of smilies (text) for every image.. or at least the ones that use letters. :)

Simple fix would be to introduce a strtolower() - but we're to lazy to do that... :p

MdSalih

Wouldn't that just make posts all lower case, removing the ability to SHOUT LIKE A FREAK when you feel like it? Or am I thinking of using the function out of context? :)

nup - we set smilies originally to be in upper case and simply use the strtolower() function to make the smilies lower case and run searches for both instances (upper and lower) through the post text.

Many other ways to do it.. thats just one that I thought would be fairly straight forward - bound to be a much easier function which is designed for such a problem... simply a matter of hunting it out.

MdSalih

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back