Card Reader

keskamess

OSNN Newbie
Help! I have an HP a1106n Desktop with card reader. I have inserted a memory card from a digital camera but nothing is happening? With the various card readers, nothing shows up as a 'drive' in my computer either??? Any help would be appreciated. Windsows XP Home by the way.

Do you have the correct drivers?
Go into control panel, then performance and maintanence, then system, then hardware, then device manager, and see if there is anything with a ! or ? next to it.
Then see if you can download drivers or find them from there.
If not, the drivers might be found here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?lc=en&cc=us&lang=en&dlc=en&product=501576&os=228

-Jack

Also, make sure the card is going in right, i know on my laptop it goes in the opposite way than on my desktop.

Last edited:
Check if its connected internally to the MB. It should show up even with no card in it. Go into device manager and look for "storage volumes". If it is not there then the reqader is not USB and needs drivers that are missing or it's USB and not connected.

If it's USB it is probably connected to a USB 2 port and that usually requires extra MB drivers that may not have been installed.

It is connected to the MB. I obviously did something in error when I re-formatted the computer. Me thinks I was suppose to assign it a number of drives??? There is no sign of it in the Device Manager. There are no exclamation or question marks there either. All my other USB ports are fine. Now one odd thing is that within the card reader is a USB 2 port - which works! It's a 9-in-1 card reader plus one USB port. I created a new partition (H) but when I re-inserted the SmartCard, nothing happened. There is also a small green ligth which activiates (within the reader assembly) when any card is inserted. But in my case, nadda. I am waiting to hear back from HP. There are NO drivers anywhere on their site. I'm from Canada btw. Thanks for the help so far! PS. It's not a bad little computer, but Everyhting is pre-formatted when you get it and no disks. One is expected to make back up discs on their own on DVD. I did make the back up discs and believe me when I tell you that I spent the better part of an hour going through just about every file on the back up dvd I made. I should just go buy a card reader (external) they're not that expensive now.

Thanks for all the help.

I chatted with them, and will give their suggestions a try.

And it didn't work. So I've got two words for the bloody thing, one's a verb and one's a pronoun. I'll just go get an external one tomorrow. They're cheap anyways. Better than packing everything all up and leaving it at the store for 3 days. Thanks anyways folks, appreciate the help.

I truly think somewhere out there, there is a solution.
But its up to you :)

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
junebutlertd
Back