Capture card

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by angel5, Oct 29, 2002.

1. angel5

angel5 Guest

First off sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place.

Can anyone give me some advice on buying a capture card.

I have have a camcorder that is about 7 years old so I assume it's analogue. What I want to do is to transfer these tapes onto my computer, with a bit of editing. But I want to burn them to CD so that they can be watched on TV as well.

Grateful for any help as I,ve looked at so many and not sure if they will do what I want. Plus it's all a bit beyond me.

Thanks

:confused:

2. howcani

howcani Guest

This is quick, cheap and easy!,
    if your graphics card dosent already support it then just get a cheap tv card, you only want the tv-in. (Dont confuse this with tv-out, for watching your computers output on a tv screen). Then you just have to hook up the video (and sound too) from the cam to the computer, and in xp use windows movie maker if you want it to be really easy.
    cheers big ears, and remember
    pork is not a verb

3. angel5

angel5 Guest

Thanks for that but with windows movie maker can I burn them to cd so I can play them on a normal DVD player. I did not think I could do this as when I burn to cd I use Prassi Primo DVD and this only allows me to burn mpeg files as a video cd.

Thanks again.

4. Zodiaq

Zodiaq Guest

You need to convert the .avi file that you save or export from Windows Movie Maker into an .mpeg file.

Here's the TMPGEnc software to encode to mpeg and a link to a tutorial....

I use Prassi for all my DVD burning...sweeet!!!!

http://www.vcdhelp.com/tmpgenc.htm

5. Zodiaq

Zodiaq Guest

6. angel5

angel5 Guest

Cheers Zodiaq

Thats all I needed to hear. I was looking at Pinnacle or Dazzle but was not to sure if it would do what I wanted.

Just needed advice from someone with a bit of knowhow as I haven't got a lot.

Now I will go out and buy it and hopefully have some fun with it.

Thanks again

7. Jz1397-5

Jz1397-5 XP Bad Ass

if you want a capture card AverMedia makes a good product.