Cantenna gets 6 times wireless speed, connects from a mile away

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Petros, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Petros

Petros Thief IV

My home theater PC was great, but there was one problem: no way to get the network to it outside of wireless. The other problem I had was that the wireless was on the opposite side of the house. No problem, wireless N should get me the speed and signal I need, right?

After playing with it a while, I found that the fastest speed I could get was around 1.8 MB/sec, not even fast enough to watch a blu-ray rip over the network.

I read a guide online about making your own cantenna, and probably could do it, but didn't want to go to the effort and also risk screwing it up. I found an ebay seller that specializes in making them. He also encases them in PVC pipe, provides a 10 foot SMA cable, and supplies a tripod for $53 shipped (at the time I purchased it, anyway).

Just got it last night and it is GREAT. My wireless speed is now over 10 MB/sec (from the opposite end of the house, remember!), so I can finally watch blu-ray rips and copy files between computers on the network with a reasonable amount of speed.

Most people (including the seller and independent reviewers) say they can connect from a mile away with it, and I am pretty sure they're right. In case anyone wants to get one, this is the seller I bought from:
    eBay Store - Bilco's Wireless Extenders: Cantenna, USB Cantenna 15ftCable Tripod, Cantenna 15ftCable Tripod

Perris Calderon likes this.
  2. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT Builder/Installer

Good to know about, thanks for sharing the info!

3. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

taking a look now, great info

I need to email a question to him but can't find his email address, do you have that?

4. Petros

Petros Thief IV

http://myworld.ebay.com/wjamesford/

Here's his seller page. Also, his email is his ebay seller name @ hotmail.com (edited to help him avoid spam).

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  5. Perris Calderon

thanx petros, just mailed my question, looks like a great product

6. Perris Calderon

just ordered this, thanx for your review, I wouldn't have even thought about ordering this if I hadn't heard someone who said ti worked as or close to advertised

thanx again

7. Petros

Petros Thief IV

Awesome! Let me know how it goes. I'm thrilled with being able to stream 1080p and 6-channel DTS audio right over the airwaves!

8. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

I've got a crushed cantenna sitting in a box somewhere, I made one not to long ago when I went war driving!

9. Perris Calderon

petros, my antenae landed yesterday, got it hooked up today, did yours come with a tri-pod?

I thought it would since that's featured in the picture, mine came without

even without the tripod it's very nice and quite a value, you get a wireless card as well as the antenae

I sent an email off asking about the tri pod, otherwise very happy

10. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT Builder/Installer

It looks to me that they all have the same photo (with the tripod) but the descriptions are different.

The cheapest one is just the cantenna for $19.99. The next cheapest one comes with a three foot cable and the tripod for $34.99. There's then one for $39.99 with a ten foot cable and tripod. And the most expensive is a USB model with 15 foot cable and tripod for $64.99. Which one did you get?

11. Perris Calderon

mine was 64 bucks plus shipping, really shouldn't have gotten such a long cord but I did want the usb network adapter, no use for it and it gets in the way

12. Petros

Petros Thief IV

Wireless A,B,G,N Cantenna with 15ft Cable/Tripod - eBay (item 270308625740 end time Nov-20-09 17:42:29 PST)

This is what I bought that comes with the whole package. He pictures tripods in each one, but some listings say that tripod is not included (something along the lines of "This listing is only for the cantenna").

I didn't get the one with the USB adapter, though. I just hooked it up after unscrewing an antenna on my HTPC adapter. Loving this speed, too. I still have yet to do any stationary war"driving" from my living room.

If he sells a dozen, maybe 15 of these a week at $60-$70 a pop, maybe $35 profit after materials and shipping, that would be a pretty good side job. Maybe I should break into this market.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  13. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

I guess you did not know but you can buy these at places like Wal-Mart, J&R, Fry's and they come with the tripod.

Here is one at Fry's.

Megabytes or megabits per second?

You typed MB which would be megabytes.

14. Petros

Petros Thief IV

I sure did! I'm getting about 80Mbits/sec over the air.

That was the first one I considered before checking ebay. They get great signal, but I like the guy on ebay's design...he encases them in PVC pipe so you can't bend them easily and seals the ends so they're watertight. I am sure my cats or dog (or I, myself!) would find a way to ruin anything flimsier.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  15. Perris Calderon

I was thiking the same petros, I think it's a good idea

16. Petros

Petros Thief IV

Have you tested file transfer speeds yet?

17. Perris Calderon

have not, just using it when I'm in the park so far

18. Perris Calderon

he sent the tripod out yesterday and apologized for the oversight

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2009
  19. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

Sounds like great customer service. If I needed one, I'd order ;)

20. Perris Calderon

well, the tripod wasn't even worth the aggrivation of writing to get it;

the screw didn't fit the tapped hole so I had to self tap it, then the weight of the antenae sheared the leg, it is literally made out of metal about as strong as tripple foulded tin foil, that's not an exageration

I'm not going to try to get another, just saying if you'rs comes without the tri pod forget it and go get one from best buy for the few bucks it's gonna cost