Cant get keyboard to work

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by PlagueWielder, May 9, 2003.

1. Hey
    I just got a Microsoft Internet Keyboard (PS2) and I cant get it to work. I connected it and installed the software but it doesnt want to work.

Any ideas?

Its a Compaq pc and it originally came with a USB keyboard so could it be that they disabled the PS2 port?

Thanks

2. sboulema

sboulema Moderator

maybe check your bios see if its disabled. let windows search for new hardware?

3. Tried both.

I cant find anything about PS2 connections in the BIOS (its kinda minimized cause its OEM). There is an option to enable USB Keyboards and its enabled.

As for hardware detection, it doesnt detect my keyboard. I know the keyboard works cause the num lock light is on.

Anyone?

4. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

might be a silly question, but you've restarted with the ps2 keyboard in and the usb keyboard unplugged, correct? another dumb question... you sure it's not in the mouse port? also, try disabling the usb keyboard thing in the bios.

5. sboulema

sboulema Moderator

hey hats a good question bout the mouseport, had that one time when building a comp for someone. it 'didn't had the nice colour coded ports :p

6. Its all color coded on mine and yes it was the right port.

Anyway, I updated the BIOS and it solved the problem.

Thanks for trying. :)

7. Plexapotamus

Plexapotamus Guest

I was going to suggest clearing your CMOS; it probably was disabled in your bois but under some obscure menu.