Cant delete certain files!

!!!

I (the person who started this thread) have found a solution!!!

Rather than having to overwrite the avi file with a blank one and then deleting it when u reboot (still doesnt allow u to rename that way)

I finally did some burning today (LONG overdo) in Nero, and by habit i deleted the files i just burnt using Nero File Browser (the explorer type window) and to my suprise...it worked!!!

I then decided to try to rename a avi, and that worked too!!!

Im saved (pretty much, would be nice if m$ would fix this but this is the 2nd best)

so all of you who got this problem, pop open Nero (im using 5.5.6.4) or get the demo!

Yeah that sounds about right. The reason it does this is because if u click once on the file in 'windows explorer' that's what triggers the file to be locked but if u use another file explorer prog then it doesn't. But M$ really need to fix this crap!

ack... i just lost my whole post DAMNIT! oh well... I usually restart the puter then delete the said file just fine... I dunno why windows gets confused sometimes and thinks the file is used, if its all about file ownership etc, then you can disable the default (or annoying is what i call it) file sharing - just open My Documents (or any folder) - tools- folder options- view (why its here is anyone's guess) - and uncheck simple file sharing.. then you can take ownership (if admin) and do whatever u want... remember u have to take ownership first, cause in windows - the owner is who can control the file's attributes - not even the admin, unless of course, you take ownership....

I have 2 harddrives, a main HD and a backup HD, both set for FAT32. I recently formatted my main HD to rid of old drivers and stuff, and since then I haven't had this problem. Like I stated way earlier in this thread, it only seems to be mIRC specific, especially movie files that are not completely downloaded. Both WinMX and IE have not given me a problem.

After reading what Socko and BytezBoy posted, it seems to be Windows Explorer and DivX specific. If I have an uncomplete movie file and I click on it just once, I can hear the HD grinding away, especially if its anywhere above 300MB. But I did not have this problem in Win2K so what the hell...chalk it up as another little inconvenience to XP.

After 5 months of using XP I enjoy it and have had no major issues.

as for DivX related - could be usually I have the problem when I am deleting my temp files after ripping a dvd (for personal use and backup of course) I wonder why...

maybe some program isn't releasing them like it should
those nasty little buggers

Coool, this worked....thanks a bunch Socko for discovering this. I had to go to command prompt to delete files and to rename and it's annoying to rename a filename that is very long and also renaming in command prompt does not work all the time. Yeah, this problems seems to pertain to files around 300mb, I've downloaded many incomplete avis tht are around 100mb or less and I am able to delete, rename it.

i had the same problem with incomplete music files..what i did was create a new folder with the name "unfinished songs" drug all the incomplete files into it and then deleted the file....it worked...so far..anyway

Perhaps MoveOnBoot will do the trick.

MoveOnBoot allows you to copy, move or delete files on the next system boot. This comes in very handy, if you need to replace or delete files which are locked by other applications, loaded into memory or cannot be changed until next system boot. You could manually enter a line to the wininit files, but using MoveOnBoot is much simpler, since the program can be integrated into shell - it creates the "Copy/Move/Delete on boot" context menu item.

http://www.webattack.com/freeware/system/fwutilities.shtml

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back