cannot view sourcecode in IE

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by gizmoshere, Oct 31, 2002.

1. gizmoshere

gizmoshere Guest

Hi
    For some reason I can no longer view the source code from web pages on IE 6

view > source notepad doesn't open I have checked in internet options & nothing works ; this is doing my ed in: my other machine I have been trying to compare, I use Me on other setup, but how can it suddenly stop working, I use notpad all the time being into web design etc, but now I cant use view>source on my xp setup: i''m using xp pro
    Help :rolleyes:

2. Khayman

Khayman I'm sorry Hal... Political User Folding Team

is your TMP setting correct?

Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double- click System.
    Click the Environment Tab.
    In the User Variables For <username> box, click TMP, type a valid path in the Value box, and then click Set.
    Click Ok.

also
    Try changing your View source editor to see if that maks a difference:

To add your preference to the View>Source option in Internet Explorer, go to Start>Run, type regedit. Navigate to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer
    Right-click on the Internet Explorer key, choose new>Key, name it View Source Editor, right-click on View Source Editor key, choose new>Key name it Editor Name, right-click on (Default) in the right pane and type the name of your editor
    As long as the application has an entry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths, you need only provide the name.

If it doesn't have any entry you'll need to enter the full pathname

3. gizmoshere

gizmoshere Guest

notepad

Hi ok

I done your other option below

Didn't make no diffrence, or do I need to restart
    Cheers

4. Khayman

try advanced tab, click Environemnt button instead

also, just to make sure
    you created a key name
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View Source Editor\Editor Name
    with a string called default and the value of the full path to the program (try one other than notepad, if you havn't already)

5. gizmoshere

gizmoshere Guest

Like I said done like you said, on the last bit from registry at top right I right clicked > Modify >edit string> in the value data I put notepad

Also the other option from control panel > system propertys >enviroment variables > ok I click on TMP it then gives me a box with variable name & Variable value which says this > %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp > what am I suppose to put in there

By the way how come it has gone like his, any idea

Couldn't I just re-install explorer : about a month ago I had a what the call hive problem * had to re-install xp would this be the root prob

6. gizmoshere

gizmoshere Guest

Also I have no bottom bar for explorer, the one that shows how long it takes to load pages at bottom

7. Khayman

8. gizmoshere

gizmoshere Guest

Ok many thanks I will look into that/ it bugs me why this has happened/ friiggin Bill Gates

Again thanks

9. yoyo

yoyo _________________

10. gizmoshere

gizmoshere Guest

yep

Yoyo

Well done - That has fixed it - dam the siplist of sulutions & well spotted- is there a way to stop this happening again?
    Many thanks to all that have helped
    Alan

11. Khayman

That was going to be my next suggestion...honest :)

clear the temp files on a regualr basis, would help tp stop it from happening again

12. gizmoshere

gizmoshere Guest

@Khayman

Ok / yea will do, but never had that happen to me in 98/Me is there a flaw in xp lol

13. Khayman

don't know, never had it happen to me, and i've never cleared the temp files. you may never get it again