Cannot delete spell.exe file from Desktop

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by mac1, Nov 15, 2004.

1. mac1

mac1 OSNN Addict

Hi all
    I hope someone can help me get rid of this file called (spell.exe), which is on my desktop. it keeps saying it's being used by another program.
    I was spell checking something and after i had finished a box popped up and i mistakingly clicked yes instead of no on the download button from www.spellcheck.com.
    what exactly does it do.
    I have ran Nav2005 and Spyware programs and all is ok.

I have tried everything to get rid of it without success, safe-mode, closing all other programs, etc.

that's what i get when the heads not in gear.

running winxp-sp2

see ya
    mac

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

See how this goes>

Just open NOTEPAD and then click on "OPEN". Navigate to the file in the little Notepad "explorer" window and right click on the file and delete it.

OR this

Explorer.exe in XP has a bad habit of wanting to hang on to files, even when you have finished using them - therefore when you try to delete the file, XP will say "Access Denied".
    This error occurs more often when working with media files - mp3, avi, mpeg etc.
    TIP:
    Close all open applications.
    Open a command prompt and navigate to the directory with the offending files.
    Then open the Task Manager and click on the Processes tab. select "explorer.exe" under Image Name. Click "End Process".
    That will leave you with only the command prompt and the task manager running.
    Now at the Command Prompt, its time to delete the file(s). Using the DEL command. Example c:>\movies\DEL movie.avi
    Now the files are deleted, go to the task manager and click on the Applications tab. Click the "New Task" button. in the dialog, type explorer.exe and click OK.

3. mac1

mac1 OSNN Addict

hi
    I tried what you said Hipster, but it said that spell.exe was not a valid windows32 application.

4. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

I am confused :confused: - why would you get that following Hipsters advice?

5. bush dogg

bush dogg OSNN Senior Addict Political User

6. leedogg

leedogg Gojyone kawaiiiiiiii!

rebooting or terminating explorer always works for me.