Cannot Delete File, Help please

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Oli_G, Nov 8, 2002.

1. Oli_G

Oli_G Guest

In my infinite wisdom i have managed to leave my FTP service running for the past month or so (dickhead) and as a result ****ers have scanned and uploaded me "stuff" , about 1.5 gig of stuff ...

when i try and delete theese files it just says "Error deleting file, cannot read from source file or disk"

Any light on this? id try dos commands, but alas, XP has no Dos :/

im on XP Pro, on FAT32, if that helps

Cheers :)

Oli

2. Iceman

Iceman Moderator

boot up in safe mode and give it a shot

[​IMG]

3. funky dredd

funky dredd Moderator

try booting to a windows 98 startup disk and then go into that directory and then try to delete the stuff. You are using Fat32 so you should be able to get into that directory.

4. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Also try>

Deleting files - Access Denied Error

Close all open applications.
    Open a command prompt and navigate to the directory with the offending files.
    Then open the Task Manager and click on the Processes tab. select "explorer.exe" under Image Name. Click "End Process".
    That will leave you with only the command prompt and the task manager running.
    Now at the Command Prompt, its time to delete the file(s). Using the DEL command. Example c:>\movies\DEL movie.avi
    Now the files are deleted, go to the task manager and click on the Applications tab. Click the "New Task" button. in the dialog, type explorer.exe and click OK.

For folders the command is 'rd'.

5. Oli_G

Oli_G Guest

wicked, cheers, ill try those now :)