Cannot connect to network

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by IDLE, Feb 10, 2007.

1. IDLE

IDLE OSNN Senior Addict

i am having a hard time with thisnetworking an Vista(32BIT). when ever i connect the pc to the router, Vista will not connect. says that it cannot identify the network. but once i connect vista directly to the modem it connects perfectly and quickly. i dont have any trouble with other PCs connecting to the router. all are on XP.

so how do i force it to identify the netwrok. vista is assigned to workgroup just like the other pcs. as well as my router.

any ideas?

2. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

Go to the "Network and Sharing Center".

At the top you should see your computer with a line to (depending how your network is setup and assuming...) the name of your workgroup with a line going to the "Internet". Is there a red X between the workgroup and the Internet?

If in fact there is a red X between the two, you can enable it by accessing the "Network" and right clicking on the router and choosing "Enable".

3. IDLE

IDLE OSNN Senior Addict

i am not seeing this or not really syre what you mean.

it shows me the PC to the "network" in my case it states unidentified network then has a red X going to the internet. i cannot right click on any of these images. or the lines to enable anything

4. IDLE

IDLE OSNN Senior Addict

i finally got it. i found a way to tell what type of network i was on. home private or work. i selected home and we are good to go. thanks for the help MM.