Can I upgrade to XP 64

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by napalmnthemorning, Apr 29, 2005.

1. napalmnthemorning

napalmnthemorning Moderator

I haven't seen much at all that gives people any way of knowing if they can upgrade to XP Pro 64 with their current processors and motherboards. I have a pretty new PC within this last year running a P4 3.4 and a Asus P5GD2 Deluxe motherboard. From what I gather at Asus my motherboard will be upgradable to the 64 bit when the drives are available. How do I tell if my processor can run it.

2. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

IF your CPU is not 64 bit no you cant. Simple. CPU-Z will tell you if your cpu has EM64T. However the intel 64bit solution is very poor in its current iteration. if you want to jump on the 64bit bandwagon now you'd do better to move over to amd64.

However if you wait 6-12 months for the 64bit world to catch up Intel will surely have fixed the issues with the implementation and you should be able to upgrade to a processor that performs nicely in both 64 and 32 bit modes.

3. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

The intel 6xx series is poor wrt 64 bit instructions?

4. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

From what I've seen on benchmarks so far and what i've seen of the 64bit intel's sitting on our racks they are seriously sluggish in 64bit mode. Pop them back onto a 32 bit os and 32 bit apps and the fly along nicely.

5. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Can you link up those benchies? I haven't seen them myself.

Cheer :D

6. napalmnthemorning

napalmnthemorning Moderator

Thanks for the info.

7. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

almost always the wrong drivers, or 32 bit apps running in 64 bit mode