Can I trust SP2 Firewall?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Heeter, Aug 28, 2004.

1. Heeter

Heeter Overclocked Like A Mother

Hi Guys,

So, what is the scoop on SP2 Firewall? Can I trust it, like I trusted my Kerio Personal Firewall? Or is it a big, gaping hole like the original XP firewall?

Heeter

2. Enyo

Enyo Moderator

NetRyder likes this.
  3. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

I've been trying out Windows Firewall for a few weeks now. As Enyo said, it serves it's purpose (run a couple of online security scans if you want to verify that), and I'm happy with it so far.

4. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

I trust it in some respects, I don't recall it ever telling me a lamer is scanning me with netbus trojan though. I notice you can give access to most services I don't use and asks if it's o.k. to allow certain minor ones to access the net, such as messenger.

I would not use it as a standalone product, I don't have much confidence in it.

5. NetRyder

Any particular reason for that?

6. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

You obviously didn't read what I wrote:

7. Enyo

Enyo Moderator

Lee, If you want visual alerts to every single port scan then you will want a third party solution, but just because its not alerting you does not indicate its not blocking the scan.

8. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

I have a ''third party'' application.

9. Heeter

I went to grc.com to run some tests. Looks like the firewall does the job good. Thanks Enyo, Netryder.

But, should it be used as a stand alone? I am always testing my setup for spyware (Spybot, highjackthis) on a very regular basis, so should I be concerned about outbound hidden traffic?

Heeter

10. tdinc

tdinc █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User

If you have any concern, use a third party firewall, this way you should'nt
    have to think about it. even though the new firewall does its job. I still want to know whats going on at all times. sygates free firewall is what i would use.

11. Enyo

Enyo Moderator

Lee, I wasn't asking what you had I was responding to your comment.

Heeter, It really depends how likely you are to get malware on your system that may connect out to the internet and go unnoticed.

If you want that extra protection I would go the way of Sygate if your looking for a free firewall or Outpost 2 if your willing to spend a little money.

As tdinc indicates outbound protection is important to give you more control and monitoring.

12. alan2273

alan2273 I love the Penguin

When I installed SP2 it disabled the XP firewall after detecting ZA firewall which I am quite happy about.
    I am not sure if it automatically disables itself for every firewall program it encounters when installing SP2, but it did for ZA.

13. the_music_man

the_music_man aka prodj88 =P

yeah the sp2 firewall works pretty good but then it started blocking limewire and it wouldn't even show a popup to tell me which was pretty bad so i switched back to sygate. but i suggest you use it when you can't find alternate software

14. Ferral_Imp

Ferral_Imp Moderator

You have to use whatever you feel comfortable with.

Personally I use NIS2004 along with the sp1 firewall to keep things running right(yeah I know all the junk about the programs conflicting by running 2 firewalls at once).

15. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

All you would have had to do is add the program to the exceptions list of the Windows Firewall.

I used ZA pro since it first came out years ago until I got XP. Then I found the ICF (Windows Firewall now) does good enough so why pay for ZA anymore. Windows Firewall makes you stealth for inbound which is all you really need unless you go to unsafe places or open attachments you do not know from where or who they came. A firewall is not gonna let something bad in.
    That comes down to the user and their internet habits IMO.

16. NetRyder

Exactly my thoughts. [​IMG]

17. rotjong

rotjong Moderator

Let me ask a simple question when it comes to the topic of this thread. Do you trust Microsoft as an operating system to protect you? Now extend that to a firewall that they add as an extra portion of your installation.

If you are already running a separate firewall software program I would not switch to using the firewall that Microsoft offers. If, on the other hand, you do not run any firewall software and aren't behind a hardware firewall, either, then you should use the MS firewall.

rotjong

18. Heeter

You could not of said (asked) it any better, rotjong.

I do operate behind a hardware firewall, and now the MS Sp2 firewall, run extensive spyware detection exercises on a regular basis (always did). I think that I am content with my setup now.

Heeter

19. falconguard

falconguard Carbon based lifeform Political User Folding Team

Heeter check out the the freee sygate firewall. does out bound filtering and you can enable rules. It will also tell you if a program update changes the build... going to SP2 it checked the NTkernel, explorer process and the changes..hard to beat for free.

20. Heeter

Your right,

Hard to beat for free. I will check it out. Thanks.

Heeter