C++ Compiler

Discussion in 'Web Design & Coding' started by pcxgamer, Mar 23, 2003.

1. pcxgamer

pcxgamer OSNN Junior Addict

I need a little help I'm trying to find a free compiler that would be able to compile a Visual C++ 6.0 or .net source code. I have a few source codes that need to be compiled with these compilers but I wasn't sure if there would maybe a free one that would work.

2. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

3. pcxgamer

Thank you for the link I'm looking around and I'm going to download the software and try it.

Thanks

4. NetRyder

You're welcome :)

5. pcxgamer

After looking around for a bit I have found out that the software is C# and compiles to .NET only. But if I'm not mistake and I maybe would a .net compiler be able to compile V C++ 6 or am I mistaken.

6. w0lv3rin3

w0lv3rin3 The Source Political User

maby Borland

i use Visual Studio C++ 6.0 so i havent been around open source compilers, well cept FreeBSD

7. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

borland should do..

but then this is visual c++ 6.0 ?

am sure that m$ has some differences... like they always implement :(

8. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

If the code was written specifically for the M$ C++ development platform (Visual C++) it probably uses M$ specific extensions and libraries. It depends on if the code was written for portability.

If the code was not written to be portable good luck finding a 100% compatible compiler. Also, you may have issues on the "make" files being written for Visual C++ only.

There is a lot of open source and shareware out there that is designed for portability and it will have individual "make" files for the different operating systems/compilers.

9. NetRyder

Right.

If you're using specific Visual C++/MFC code, you will need Visual Studio.
    If it's standard C++, you can use Borland or DevC++ (built on the free, open-source MINGW compiler)