Bypass XP Admin Passoword

hndlthis

Can you handle this?
I forgot my admin password for my xp home edition OS. I tried using a blank password, or just by hitting enter and it won't take it. it says it's invalid. Is there some way I can bypass the password thing? Please Help!

This is for my other computer, not this one I am using which is xp profes.

Not sure you should be asking this. You've read the forum guidlines right?
The Windows password is there to protect the data therein. If it were thet easy to bypass then there'd be little point in having it.
Don't mean to be blunt, but if this is a genuine request I recommend reinstalling with your legit XP CD+Key :rolleyes: as this kinda thing gets close to some theft/piracy issues.

You may find when an Admin/Mod views this thread you may get ur wrists slapped ;) But they're nice about it. :)

No offence intended :)

You'll find a similar thread here

You should call MicroSquish and ask for their help in this matter. They will ask you a couple of questions about your computer and also you CD Key and then tell you how to fix it. :D

But if I remember correctly if you created an Admin password for it and forgot it you're pretty much screwed. :(

But... I could be wrong.

If it's a FAT32 disk you can still get to the data.
If it's NTFS then it's encrypted and the user files are assigned an SID.

A SID or "Security Identifier" is a unique number given to a user when the user account is created. It indexes the user account information that is stored in the registry. The SID is used to check user rights and access permissions on the WinNT5.X system. Although a user logs on with a user name and password, it is actually the associated SID that is used by the operating system.
Therefore if your disk'd FS is NTFS then the data will take some getting to.

BTW hndlthis if they do tell you how to fix it, be sure to post back and let us all in on the secret :D

Thanks very much for all of your help.

I thought it might be a bad thing to ask, but it was worth a try. Sorry...

I'll try those things and if I find a way to, I'll drop by again. :)

There are ways to get around this. You can buy a password reset utility from http://www.sysinternals.com The utility is called Locksmith v1.0. Runs around $80. There is also a free utility that uses Linux to do this but everytime I post the link the admins here yell at me. :(

Is it actually the Administrator password you forgot or the password of your account with administrative rights?

In XP Home the inbuilt Administrator account is only available in safe mode and by default has a blank password. Is it this account you are trying to log in? If not boot to safe mode, log in as the Administrator and change the password of the other user account in control panel / user accounts.

In XP Home the inbuilt Administrator account is only available in safe mode
I don't believe this is correct. You can access the administrator account by hitting CTRL+ALT+DEL twice at the login screen. If you are logged in then just log out and do it.

Originally posted by Enyo
Locksmith is no longer a stand along product and is now part of ERD Commander 2003.

As for the rest of the password recovery tools, yes its a good idea not to post them here :)

There is also NTAccess available from Sunbelt-Software.

I do not see the big deal about the other ones. They are legit tools that every Admin should have. Yes there is the possibilty of people using them for the wrong reasons but you can say the same for other things.

Originally posted by Un4gIvEn1
I don't believe this is correct. You can access the administrator account by hitting CTRL+ALT+DEL twice at the login screen. If you are logged in then just log out and do it.

"Unable to Log You on because of an Account Restriction" that's the message you get if you try that.

XP home doesn't technically have a usable administrator account. Although most accounts that have been created on it are either an admin or a restricted account.

RabidPenguin that link will be gone by this time tomorrow.

Actually it's against the forum guidelines to post about password hacking, woops sorry I mean resetting, but not Bypass XP Admin Passoword. Whats a passoword? Sounds like one of those Indian Currys you buy!

Well, if people would just do a search before they post then they would find the answer to this question...

Originally posted by Un4gIvEn1
Well, if people would just do a search before they post then they would find the answer to this question...

I'd agree with you there. This question must get asked at least once a week! And the post closed.

O.K. the party is over... everybody, back to what you were doing. :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back