Buying an ipod in the USA

Discussion in 'Portable Devices & Gadgets' started by lad_in_brum, Dec 6, 2004.

1. lad_in_brum

lad_in_brum OSNN Addict

Im off to florida at the end of Jan for 2 weeks holiday.

While i am over there i was thinking of picking up an iPOD as they are chepaer than here in the UK.

What shops (cheapest) would be the best to try and get one from?

Cheers

2. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

I'm not 100% sure but I think Apple keeps stores from selling iPods at different prices for the most part (maybe a few dollars here and there). So any store you go into is probably fairly close to the rest in price. :)

3. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Can't speak for the shops, but have to ask how much the power supplies are over here or if they can be charged by USB...

4. well i think best buy shouldn't have the cheapest ones, try smaller computer shops.
    try searching on local google
    http://local.google.com/ , type in what you want and the city you want

5. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Yeah, from what I've seen, most places carry them for almost the same price (give or take a little).

6. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

All apple stuff (to my knowledge) comes with a 220/110 power supply, you may need a 2->3pin converter, but the voltage thing isn't a problem :)

7. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

No offence, but if anything a smaller shop would charge you more as they would need to have a larger markup to pay the bills. Though I think Apple really does set the price and stores don't get much say I believe.

8. tom9042

tom9042 OSNN Senior Addict Folding Team

I just had to buy an 20 gig iPod M9282LLA for my stepson. I looked around a little, including on Price Watch. The prices went from $285 and free shipping to $299 and pay for shipping. The lower prices were from no name out of state PC shops. I asked my mother in law, who's paying for it, if she wanted to trust some faraway small shop or pay the extra $15 and get it from Amazon.

Also, there were several places sold out. There is an Apple store 30 miles away for the same price (plus sales tax). It looks like iPod's are fair traded (must be sold for the same price all over).